Welcome to the
Effective February 1st, 2019, Sun Life Financial will serve as the City’s third party administrator for leave benefits under the Federal and Wisconsin FMLA. Sun Life will receive the requests for leave, make eligibility determinations, send leave related notices and correspondence, collect and process medical certifications, track leave entitlement and usage, report utilization to departmental Leave Administrators, and help identify fraud and abuse.
By contracting with Sun Life, the City will ensure that eligibility decisions are made promptly and properly. We anticipate that this decision will reduce some of the administrative burden associated with tracking leave currently performed by payroll and human resources personnel from each respective City department. Sun Life Financial will also help improve the management of intermittent leave as well as ensure compliance with employee notifications and other key provisions of the Federal and Wisconsin regulations.
- Important information about Sun Life's process and workflow. Video.
- NOTE: The effective date of this transition is February 1st.
FMLA Managers FAQ
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING HOW TO FILE A CLAIM
· Employees should call Sun Life when leave is needed for the employees’ serious health condition or the serious health condition of a qualifying family member.
· Generally medical reasons include: pregnancy or prenatal care, an overnight stay at a hospital or medical care facility, illness or incapacitation for more than 3 days, repeated absences for the same chronic health condition, or permanent or long term conditions or treatments.
· To file a claim between the hours of 7:30 am to 9:30 pm, employees should call Sun Life at 1.844.464.2818.
· A claim can also be filed on line by visiting www.sunlife-ams.com
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOU FILE A CLAIM
· Within 5 days of a leave request, Sun Life will send a leave request letter, a document explaining critical next steps, a document outlining employee rights and responsibilities, a blank DOL medical certification form to be completed by your medical provider, and when applicable, department specific, return to work documentation.
EMPLOYEE’S OBLIGATIONS TO FOLLOW DEPARTMENTAL CALL IN PROCEDURES
· While opening a claim and reporting intermittent absences will be done directly with Sun Life, employees are also required to continue to follow departmental call-in procedures to report all absences.
EMPLOYEES ON FMLA AS OF THE TRANSITION DATE
· Employees on continuous or intermittent leave as of the date of the transition will receive a letter from Sun Life directly alerting them of the transition and documenting steps they will need to follow to ensure no disruption to their leave status. This letter is anticipated to be received the week of February 4th.
MEDICAL CERTIFICATION AND RECERTIFICATIONS
· Sun Life will be using the Department of Labor (DOL) Medical Certification in administering leaves for the City.
· The Medical Certification will be due 15 days after issuance.
· Sun Life will seek authorization from the employee to contact the health care provider if needed, either through verbal consent or via the website.
· The certification due date will be documented in the FMLA Notification packet. The Medical Certification must be returned to:
Address Leave Center, NBC Tower-13th Floor
455 North Cityfront Plaza Dr
Chicago IL 60611-5322
· If the employee does not provide the medical certification by the required date, the claim will be closed and the employee will be notified accordingly.
· Medical Certification forms will be securely and confidentially retained by Sun Life and will not be provided to Leave Administrators in general City departments. Within the Public Safety Departments, representatives from each respective medical section will have access to medical certification forms consistent with current procedures.
· General City employees will be required to complete the FMLA Leave request form to designate the accrued paid time off benefits they wish to use and will submit this form every pay period in accordance with current departmental procedures and practice.
· Fire and Police department members are required to follow payroll procedures in accordance with their internal requirements.