• Refine Search

  • All Results


Special Event Permits



APPLICATIONS RELATED TO THE UPCOMING REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION (RNC): The Department of Public Works is not accepting applications for Special Events within an area bounded by 20th Street, Greenfield Avenue, North Avenue, and Lake Michigan during the Republican National Convention, July 15-18, 2024. Instead, in order to provide a safe and orderly opportunity for speakers and protesters as close to the Convention as possible, the City has posted a parade permit and speakers platform registration form. 

*Register here for the official Demonstration Speakers Platform and Parade Route, both within sight and sound access of the Republican National Convention.


PLEASE BE ADVISED:  ALL Special Event Permit Applications must be completed and submitted on-line at least 30 DAYS prior to the event date and ALL Block Party Permit Applications must be submitted on-line at least TWO WEEKS prior to the event date.

A Planning Guide for
Making Temporary Events
Accessible to People with

Green Events Guide

Before you complete the planning for your event, please review Milwaukee’s Green Events Guide and assure that your event will be a sustainable and environmentally friendly one. Please remember to reduce, reuse, compost, and recycle, so you can avoid landfilling waste as much as possible.

Download the City of Milwaukee Green Events Guide Printable Brochure - English  - Spanish




Download the City of Milwaukee Green Events Guide Printable Brochure (Spanish)

Permits for special events in the public right-of-way are issued by the Department of Public Works Special Event Permit Office. The permit system ensures public safety by coordinating street closures with the Milwaukee Police Department, DPW's Traffic Division, and Milwaukee County Transit System.  The office also provides permits for hanging vertical banners on city light poles, holiday decorations and reviews vending box permits issued by the City Clerk License Division.

In case of large scale events which create a significant impact on neighborhoods, the Special Event Office facilitates meetings with the event organizer, Milwaukee Police Department, DPW staff, a representative from the Alderperson's office, etc. to ensure public safety, traffic flow is maintained, and the majority of the neighbors are supportive of the impending event.  If your special event will include food, music, large tent, or alcohol please see,  additional permits you may need. 

Examples of events in the public right-of-way for which permits are required include:

  • parades
  • festivals
  • run/walks
  • bicycle rides/races
  • block parties
  • sidewalk sales
  • photo or film shoots
  • parking for production vehicles in conjunction with events
  • use of city street(s) for a school recess area

Contact the Special Event Permit Office at [email protected].

Quick Links

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System