Permit & Development
Permit & Development Center Limited Services 03/26/2020
Suspension of Walk-in Services and In-Person Appointments
In order to mitigate the risk associated with exposure and transmission of the COVID-19 virus the City of Milwaukee Permit & Development Center will be taking the following steps to reduce risk to the public and staff. Development Staff will be working from home with limited access hours to our offices.
- Tech Team, Residential Construction, Fencing, Signage, Zoning Referrals and Occupancy Walk-In Services will be suspended.
- Plan Examiner Specialists will be managing customer assistance for those wishing to access these services. You may call our customer assistance line at (414) 286-8210 if you would like to apply for any of these services. Please note that our customer service line will be very busy during this time so please be patient with us.
Plan Exam consultation will be handled over the phone and opportunity to send information via email will be offered.
- You may also apply for a permit online through our LMS system. Please go to https://aca3.accela.com/Milwaukee/Default.aspx. Supplemental documentation required for submittal should be uploaded to the permit record you have created.
- Commercial Walk-in Services and Appointments will be suspended.
- Small Commercial Submittals that would have otherwise been reviewed through our walk-in service or by appointment may now be dropped at our front desk for check-in and review. Correspondence regarding reviews will be handled via email.
- Plan Submittals are preferably made via mail/shipping. Submittals may also be dropped may be dropped off at the area designated within the front entry vestibule at the 809 N. Broadway building.
- Mailed in submittals should be sent to:
809 N Broadway, 1st Floor
Attention: Development Center
Milwaukee WI, 53202
- Dropped submittals should left at the designated entry vestibule area for drop-offs. Plans will be checked in based upon time stamped receivables. Please do not include a check rolled into your submittal. Plan Exam fees may be paid upon check-in and fee assessment via our online LMS system. https://aca3.accela.com/Milwaukee/Default.aspx
The Land Management System (LMS) provides citizens, businesses, and visitors access to government services online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Use LMS to schedule inspections online (NEW!), review status updates, upload drawings and plans electronically, pay online after all regulatory or reviews have been met, and more.
When you establish your business, church, agency, school or organization in a new or existing building, you need a Certificate of Occupancy before you open your doors.
Certificates of Occupancy also are required for parking lots and commercial storage buildings. They are not required for one- and two-family homes unless an inspector has issued a “placard” or the house has been vacant for more than six months.
Use QLess to Check-In
QLess Online Check-In allows users to check-in for service at the Permit & Development Center to avoid waiting in line. Enter your name, mobile phone number and desired services to check in. You will then receive a text alert with the estimated service time. Follow the prompts to receive status updates (S), to leave the queue (L), to request more time (M), or to get help (H). QLess Online Check-In is only available during office hours (M, W, Th, F from 8am-3:30pm; Tuesdays from 8-11am)