Renovating Vacant Homes and Returning Them to Productive Use
In 2021, the Common Council of the City of Milwaukee allocated $15 million in Federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding to the Department of City Development (DCD) for the Homes MKE Program to renovate vacant houses in the City’s inventory of tax-foreclosed residential properties and return them to productive use.
Homes Currently For Sale:
Click the map to find Homes MKE properties!
You will be directed to the Homes MKE Real Estate Map where you can click color-coded dots to view photos and find information about Homes MKE properties.
The goals of Homes MKE are to:
- sell, renovate and reoccupy up to 150 vacant foreclosed City owned houses.
- prioritize the development of the houses to provide home ownership opportunities for City residents.
- coordinate redevelopment efforts in a manner that results in a positive impact for the surrounding neighborhood.
- provide construction and job opportunities.
- provide development opportunities for emerging developers.
- collaborate with local residents to provide housing and resource opportunities in neighborhoods where Program properties are located.
What's Happening Right Now:
October 30, 2023: Three fully renovated Homes MKE properties are for sale and two properties have occupants participating in a rent-to-own program.
If you are interested in developer or resident information, click a street sign below to learn how Homes MKE might work for you:
Text "Homes MKE" to (414) 708-1182 to start your homeownership journey today!
- October 27, 2023: Urban Milwaukee: Ezekiel CDC Shows Off Foreclosed Home Rehabilitation
- July 7, 2023: TMJ4 Video: With City's help, developer improving old neighborhood
- May 2, 2023: BridgeTower Media Newswires: Milwaukee to use $15M in federal funding to rebuild and resell foreclosed homes
- April 21, 2023: Milwaukee Business Journal: Project to rehab 150 vacant Milwaukee houses officially kicks off
- April 20, 2023: Milwaukee Independent: Homes MKE: Initiative Begins Renovating Vacant City-Owned Houses to Build Stronger Neighborhoods
- April 19, 2023: FOX 6 YouTube Video: Homes MKE kicks off- DCD Commissioner, Common Council, and Builders Speak
- April 19, 2023: FOX 6: Homes MKE kicks off; initiative renovates city-owned properties
- April 19, 2023: CBS 58: Milwaukee kicks off Homes MKE initiative aiming to renovate vacant houses
- April 19, 2023: TMJ4: City launches program to renovate 150 vacant homes across Milwaukee
- April 19, 2023: Spectrum News: Milwaukee to renovate 150 vacant houses, create affordable housing
- April 19, 2023: Urban Milwaukee: Work Starts on Redeveloping 150 Vacant Homes
- September 28, 2022: Urban Milwaukee: Mayor Cavalier Johnson Signs Resolution to Advance Homes MKE Initiative
- September 13, 2022: Milwaukee Business Journal: Milwaukee's ARPA-funded home rehabs to start later this year, 15 developers selected
- September 13, 2022: BizTimes: City announces partners for Homes MKE initiative
- September 13, 2022: Urban Milwaukee: 66 Developers Bid To Rehab City’s Vacant Homes
- September 12, 2022: Press Release: Development Teams Announced for Homes MKE Initiative
- August 22, 2022: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Milwaukee received $44 million in federal funds for affordable housing. Here's how the city plans to spend it.
- April 29, 2022: Press Release: American Rescue Plan Act funding will support Homes MKE initiative to renovate vacant houses, build stronger neighborhoods
ATTN: Homes MKE, 809 N Broadway, 2nd Floor, Milwaukee, WI 53202
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Construction Contact- Olgita David:
P:414-286-5831; C:414.308.6623; E:[email protected]
Developer Contact- Ed Miller:
P:414.286.3828; C:414.708.1149; E:[email protected]
Resident Contact- Jeremy Mitchell:
P:414-286-6459; C:414.708.1182; E:[email protected]