1) Why Homes MKE Matters for Milwaukee?
Homes MKE aims to have a positive impact in the lives of Milwaukee Residents by giving careful attention to Jobs, Neighborhoods, and Familes:
Growing Jobs and Businesses
- Homes MKE property developers will receive workforce subsidies for hiring local residents.
- Over 50% of the selected developers are "Emerging." Emerging Developers include developers who are working to build their capacity and business and are graduates of Milwaukee’s ACRE program and/or are at an economic disadvantage within the development community due to lack of business capital, credit or borrowing opportunities.
Helping Neighborhoods to Flourish
Families Realizing Their Dreams
- Knowing that having a safe, stable place to call home is important for families, the City has established a goal of 70% of the properties in the Homes MKE Program be developed for home ownership (owner occupancy).
2) Who Is Eligible To Buy The Newly Renovated Homes?
Developers are proposing a number of creative approaches to support homeownership for Milwaukee families ranging from lease to own programs to community land trusts, as well as traditional home purchase. Check back for more information on programs and how to purchase a Homes MKE renovated property.
3) When Will The Newly Renovated Homes Be Ready For Residents To Purchase?
Properties will be under construction in the first quarter of 2023, with the first properties ready for occupancy in late summer of 2023.
4) What Can I Do Right Now?
There are things you can do now to be prepared when Homes MKE houses are ready for sale:
- Home buyers will be required to receive 8 hours of home buying counseling from one of the City’s non-profit home buying counseling agencies below. You can begin that process by contacting an agency here:
- Home Buying Counseling Agencies
- You may also text, "Help Me With Homes MKE" to (414)708-1182 to start a conversation today.
5) I'm Already a Homeowner in Milwaukee And Need Home Repairs.
You're a homeowner in Milwaukee and need work done on your home now?
- The Department of City Development (DCD) has resources to help homeowners complete important repairs on their home. We encourage you to schedule a virtual or in-person appointment with DCD Community Outreach Liaison Jeremy Mitchell. He can speak with you about programs that may be able to help.
- You may also text, "Help with Home Repairs" to (414)708-1182 for more information.
6) I'm Not a Homeowner in Milwaukee But Will Be Ready to Buy Before Homes MKE Construction is Complete.
You're ready to be a homeowner in Milwaukee?
- The City of Milwaukee wants to help you realize your dream of homeownership!
- April 21, 2023: Milwaukee Business Journal: Project to rehab 150 vacant Milwaukee houses officially kicks off
- April 20, 2023: Milwaukee Independent: Homes MKE: Initiative Begins Renovating Vacant City-Owned Houses to Build Stronger Neighborhoods
- April 19, 2023: FOX 6 YouTube Video: Homes MKE kicks off- DCD Commissioner, Common Council, and Builders Speak
- April 19, 2023: FOX 6: Homes MKE kicks off; initiative renovates city-owned properties
- April 19, 2023: CBS 58: Milwaukee kicks off Homes MKE initiative aiming to renovate vacant houses
- April 19, 2023: TMJ4: City launches program to renovate 150 vacant homes across Milwaukee
- April 19, 2023: Spectrum News: Milwaukee to renovate 150 vacant houses, create affordable housing
- April 19, 2023: Urban Milwaukee: Work Starts on Redeveloping 150 Vacant Homes
- September 28, 2022: Urban Milwaukee: Mayor Cavalier Johnson Signs Resolution to Advance Homes MKE Initiative
- September 13, 2022: Milwaukee Business Journal: Milwaukee's ARPA-funded home rehabs to start later this year, 15 developers selected
- September 13, 2022: BizTimes: City announces partners for Homes MKE initiative
- September 13, 2022: Urban Milwaukee: 66 Developers Bid To Rehab City’s Vacant Homes
- September 12, 2022: Press Release: Development Teams Announced for Homes MKE Initiative
- August 22, 2022: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Milwaukee received $44 million in federal funds for affordable housing. Here's how the city plans to spend it.
- April 29, 2022: Press Release: American Rescue Plan Act funding will support Homes MKE initiative to renovate vacant houses, build stronger neighborhoods
ATTN: Homes MKE, 809 N Broadway, 2nd Floor, Milwaukee, WI 53202
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Construction Contact- Olgita David:
P:414-286-5831; C:414.308.6623; E:[email protected]
Developer Contact- Ed Miller:
P:414.286.3828; C:414.708.1149; E:[email protected]
Resident Contact- Jeremy Mitchell:
P:414-286-6459; C:414.708.1182; E:[email protected]