The Office of Mayor Cavalier Johnson accepts internship applications for the Spring, Summer and Fall academic semesters.
Mayoral interns work directly with the Mayor and his staff in several key areas: research, communications, constituent relations and scheduling. This role includes interaction with the general public and serving as the voice of the Mayor to his constituents. Interns also play a role in crafting and framing the message that his constituents receive. Positions are generally writing intensive and provide a chance to build a repertoire of writing samples.
In addition, Mayoral internships introduce students to the opportunities that exist for a career in local government through exposure to many areas of city government and the chance to witness how ideas come to fruition in the realm of policy and community relations.
Internship sessions are as follows:
- Spring: January - May
- Summer: May - August
- Fall: August - December
Applications are currently being accepted for the Fall of 2023: Interested and qualified candidates should send a resume, cover letter and at least one writing sample to [email protected].
Summer: April 15th | Fall: August 31st| Spring: January 5th
Applications received after the deadline will be kept on file, but will not receive priority consideration.
General internship components include:
• Assisting with constituent services.
• Drafting official Mayoral correspondence.
• Conducting research on issues and legislation affecting Milwaukee.
• Attending public functions, community meetings and keynote Mayoral addresses.
• Developing administrative skills.
• Preparing briefings for Mayor Johnson and senior staff.
• Staffing Mayor Johnson at events or meetings.
• Attending breadth lectures designed for City interns.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
• Good academic standing;
• Interest in working in public administration and basic knowledge of local government;
• A strong ability to follow direction and work independently; and
• Available for 12-15 hours per week between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.