• Refine Search

  • All Results

Municipal ID Card

Stay Informed with E-Notify

Updates and important announcements will be made through news and social media as well as our E-Notify system.  Once in the E-Notify system (if you'd like an emailed notice), sign up for the "License Division News" email list.

Important things to remember:

  1. Your ID CANNOT be used to vote in Wisconsin.

  2. You must be 14 years or older to apply. (Those under 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian.)

  3. Your ID will expire in 5 years.

  4. You must notify the License Division within 10 days if your address changes or if your ID is lost or stolen. (There is a $5 replacement fee.)

  5. Information provided on your application may be released in response to a public records request.

How to Apply

Submit an application - including your proof of identity, proof of residency, and $10 fee - to the License Division. You must apply in-person.

Open AllClose All
  Completed application
  Proof of identity

Submit one of the following

The document must display your photograph and date of birth

  • U.S. or Foreign Passport
  • U.S. State Driver's License
  • U.S. State or Federal ID card
  • Consular Identification (CID)
  • U.S. Permanant Resident (Green) Card

Or any two of the following

The document must display your photograph and date of birth

  • U.S. or Foreign Birth Certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • National ID Card
  • Foreign Driver's License
  • Foreign Military ID
  • Visa
  • Student ID Card
  • U.S. Individual Taxpayer ID Number

Print proof of identity document list

  Proof of residency

Submit one of the following...
The document must contain your name and residential address in Milwaukee, and must be dated within the last 60 days.

  • Utility bill (including gas, electric, garbage, water, internet, cable, cellphone, or landline telephone)
  • Local property tax statement or mortgage statement
  • Insurance premium bill or invoice (including homeowner's, renter's, health, life or automobile)
  • Proof of minor currently enrolled in a Milwaukee school
  • Bank statement (including checking, savings, certificate of deposit or investment accounts)
  • Jury summons or court order issued by a local, state or federal court
  • Employment pay stub or paycheck (including proof of unemployment or disability assistance)
  • Written verification by a hospital, health clinic, shelter or social service agency
  • Identification card, license, or other official State or Federal document

Print proof of residency documents list


Additional Forms

Municipal ID Affidavit - Required only if your application provides a name or gender identity different than your proof of identity document(s).

 Common Council City Clerk - License Division

Contact Us

City Clerk – License Division
City Hall Room 105
200 E. Wells Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202  

Directions  |  Hours


Email Us! Take Our Survey!

Please wait while we gather your results.
This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System