Jurisdiction & History
The jurisdiction of the Inspector General extends to:
- Elected official of City government – Alderpersons, the Mayor, the City Clerk, the City Treasurer, the City Attorney, City Comptroller.
- Appointed officers of City government in the performance of their official duties.
- All employees of the City and the City Council in the performance of their official duties.
- All contractors and subcontractors providing goods or services to the City.
- Business entities seeking contracts or certification of eligibility for City contracts.
OIG HISTORY AND TIMELINE
The City of Milwaukee’s Common Council overrode the Mayor’s veto to approve the position of the Inspector General within the Common Council City Clerk’s office. There is an ordinance which states the Inspector General position within the Common Council-City Clerk’s Office, is appointed in consultation with the President of the Common Council and under the direct supervision of the President of the Common Council, outside of the administration chain of command, would monitor and report on departmental administration, operations and services.