Bicycle license registration for city of Milwaukee residents is easy and FREE! Just follow this simple three-step process:
1. Get a free bicycle license sticker at a nearby library, police station, or university. You can also request a sticker from the License Division by email or by calling 414-286-2238.
2. Activate your bicycle license online
3. Attached the license sticker to the upper portion of the down or seat tube of the bicycle, facing forward.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What information is required when registering my bicycle?
License Number: This number is located on your bicycle license.
Frame Serial Number: This number is unique to the bicycle and is found on the bicycle's frame. Typical serial number locations are: Top of seat tube, head tube, drop out, crank (bottom bracket), bottom of chainstay.
Color: Enter the most predominant color of the bicycle.
Tire Size: Select the appropriate tire size.
Type: Select the appropriate type.
Make of Bicycle: This should be on the front of the bicycle (i.e. Trek, Huffy, etc.).
Personal Information: Enter last name, first name, middle initial, date of birth, and address of the bicycle owner. You may also enter your phone number and email address, if applicable.
- Why should I register my bicycle?
Registration provides for bicycle identification, theft deterrence, identification of riders, and ability to return recovered stolen bikes to the registered owners.
- What is the fee for the bicycle license?
Bike registration is free.
- How long are registrations valid?
Registrations are good for as long as you own your bicycle.
- How do I change ownership for a bicycle that has been previously licensed in the City of Milwaukee?
To change ownership for a previously-licensed bicycle, you must have the license number, serial number and previous owner's last and first names. Once you have this information, submit a Change Bicyle Owner application.