Candidates who successfully complete all phases of the examination will be placed on an eligible list for consideration for employment.
Pre-Employment Tests – Medical Examination, Psychological Evaluation and Drug Test
Candidates offered employment must pass a pre-employment medical examination, psychological evaluation, and drug test as a condition of employment.
Final appointment to the position of Firefighter is contingent upon passing all pre-employment components, the number of vacancies, and approval by the Fire and Police Commission.
The preference points may be claimed via the online application, where you'll be prompted to upload the necessary supporting documentation. Alternatively, the required documentation may be mailed to the Fire and Police Commission at Room 706, City Hall, 200 E. Wells Street, Milwaukee, WI 53202-3554, or emailed to email@example.com. In all cases, the decision of the Fire and Police Commission is final as to the acceptability of documentation as proof of eligibility.
Veterans Preference Points
- If you are an eligible veteran, you must attach an undeleted copy of your DD-214. Undeleted means that the copy you submit must include the bottom portion that indicates the type of discharge you received. Note: If you have not yet been released from active duty, you may present individual orders or a letter from your commanding officer attesting to honorable service and the dates thereof, in lieu of the DD-214.
- Please fill out the Military Preference Points Claim Form and submit it along with your DD-214 to the Fire & Police Commission.
Residency Preference Points (Bona fide resident of the City of Milwaukee at the time of application)
Acceptable proof of residency is:
- Copies of two (2) documents that verify you live at the City of Milwaukee address that you claimed on your application. Both document(s) submitted must include all of the following: First and last name, Complete numbered street address (post office boxes will not be accepted), City, state and zip code. At least one (1) of the document(s) you submit must verify that you lived at this address during the application period.
- A list of acceptable documents follows:
- Unexpired State of Wisconsin driver’s license, Wisconsin State identification card, or any other unexpired official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit, or by an employer in the normal course of business (no business cards). Examples include hunting or fishing license, or a professional license.
- Employment pay check stub.
- A bill statement: Examples include bills from a cell phone, auto loan, utility, auto insurance, or other bill statement from a known and reputable business.
- Bank statement.
- College record, fee/tuition card or receipt.
- High school or college transcript.
- Alternatively, you may submit a signed and notarized affidavit swearing that you are indeed a City of Milwaukee resident.
Education Preference Points
Acceptable proof of education is:
- A transcript from the accredited institution from which you received your diploma. If you choose to apply for education preference points outside of the online application process, please fill out the Education Preference Points Claim Form and submit it along with your transcripts to the FPC.
- Graduates of an accredited two year in fire technology program shall be awarded three (3) additional points.
- Graduates of an accredited four year fire science program shall be awarded five (5) additional points.
The previous recruitment closed October 13, 2017.