Learn More about this Career Opportunity
- Thursday February 22nd - 3:30-5:30PM - Mitchell St Library Community Room
- Thursday, February 29th - 3-5PM - Washington Park Library - Finney Room
What Happens After You Apply
At the applicaiton deadline, the Department of Employee Relations will review your application and confirm you meet the minimum requirements.
- Valid driver's license at the time of application closing. Valid Wisconsin's driver license at the time of appointment and throughout employment.
- Good driving record at time of application and throughout employment
- At least 18 years of age at time of appointment.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or one of the following at time of appointment: A) completion of a Wisconsin General Educational Development (GED) (or GED from another state that meets Wisconsin GED standards), B) High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), or C) completion of a home-based private educational program, provided the applicant can provide copies of State of Wisconsin Form PI-1206.
Qualified candidates will receive an email from [email protected] with the test information.
The performance exam is tentatively scheduled for the first week of April
The performance exam physically demonstrates the skills using actual techniques, materials, equipment, and personnel. It may include the following major components:
- Climbing up a ladder to a height of 35 feet into a tree and climbing 10 or more feet wearing safety equipment
- Climbing up a rope to a height of 12 feet or more wearing safety equipment.
The performance exam is physically strenuous.
- Avoid strenuous exercise 48 hours before the exam. Allow your body to relax and rest.
- Get a good night's sleep.
- Drink plenty of water to ensure hydration
- Be sure to eat breakfast the day of the test.
- Dress in comfortable clothing, appropriate for strenuous exercise. Suggested attire:
- Comfortable, well-fitting shoes
- Sweat pants, jeans, or work pants
- Comfortable shirt
- Layers, depending on the weather
You will be asked to sign a waiver form:
- I understand that the performance tests for the Urban Forestry Arborist Apprentice selection process require physical stress. I consider myself to be in suitable physical condition to participate in these tests.
- I hereby waive my right to claim damages for injuries I might incur while competing in any portion of this examination.
- I understand that the content of this examination process is confidential. I agree to maintain that confidentiality.
When you arrive, take time to gently warm up and stretch.
An experienced Forestry Employee will assist you with donning a safety harness and helmet.
What to Expect After the Selection Process
- Test results are usually provided within 20 days of completing the last segment of the test. Watch your email!
- Those who pass ALL segments are placed on an eligible list in order of the score received.
- Being on an eligible list does not guarantee appointment to the job.
Once the list is referred to DPW, you will be contacted to complete a background check and to schedule an interview.
If you are offered a position, you would complete a pre-placement physical exam and drug test.
When you are Hired
- You must posses a Class B or higher Commercial Driver's License (CDL) without Air Brakes Restriction within six months of appointment and throughout employment. CDL Resources
- Reside within 15 miles of the jurisdictional boundaries of the City of Milwaukee within 6 months of appointment.
- Meet all prescribed certification and licensing requirements during the course of the apprenticeship.
Best of luck as you pursue your future career with the City of Milwaukee!