Learn more about this Opportunity:
Location: Employ Milwaukee - 2342 N 27th St
Date: March 22 6-7PM
Virtual Session: March 24 6-7PM
Click here to join the meeting using Microsoft Teams.
Or call in (audio only)
Phone Conference ID: 933 729 044#
What Happens After You Apply
The Department of Employee Relations will review your application and confirm you meet the minimum requirements.
- Valid driver's license at the time of application and throughout employment
- Good driving record at time of application and throughout employment
- At least 18 years of age at time of appointment.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or one of the following at time of appointment: A) completion of a Wisconsin General Educational Development (GED) (or GED from another state that meets Wisconsin GED standards), B) High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), or C) completion of a home-based private educational program, provided the applicant can provide copies of State of Wisconsin Form PI-1206.
Qualified candidates will receive an email from email@example.com with the written test information.
The written test is tentatively scheduled for the week of April 18-22, 2022.
If you score high enough on the written, you will be scheduled for a performance exam. Tentatively scheduled for the week of May 16-20, 2022
The performance exam physically demonstrates the skills using actual techniques, materials, equipment, and personnel. It may include the following major components:
- Climbing up a ladder to a height of 35 feet into a tree and climbing 10 or more feet wearing safety equipment
- Climbing up a rope to a height of 12 feet or more wearing safety equipment.
The performance exam is physically strenuous.
- Avoid strenuous exercise 48 hours before the exam. Allow your body to relax and rest.
- Get a good night's sleep.
- Drink plenty of water to ensure hydration
- Be sure to eat breakfast the day of the test.
- Dress in comfortable clothing, appropriate for strenuous exercise. Suggested attire:
- Comfortable, well-fitting shoes
- Sweat pants, jeans, or work pants
- Comfortable shirt
- Layers, depending on the weather
You will be asked to sign a waiver form:
- I understand that the performance tests for the Urban Forestry Arborist Apprentice selection process require physical stress. I consider myself to be in suitable physical condition to participate in these tests.
- I hereby waive my right to claim damages for injuries I might incur while competing in any portion of this examination.
- I understand that the content of this examination process is confidential. I agree to maintain that confidentiality.
When you arrive, take time to gently warm up and stretch.
An experienced Forestry Employee will assist you with donning a safety harness and helmet.
What to Expect After the Selection Process
- Test results are usually provided within 20 days of completing the last segment of the test. Watch your email!
- Those who pass ALL segments are placed on an eligible list in order of the score received.
- Being on an eligible list does not guarantee appointment to the job.
Once the list is referred to DPW, you will be contacted to complete a background check and to schedule an interview.
If you are offered a position, you would complete a pre-placement physical exam and drug test.
When you are Hired
- You must posses a Class B or higher Commercial Driver's License (CDL) without Air Brakes Restriction within six months of appointment and throughout employment. CDL Resources
- Reside within 15 miles of the jurisdictional boundaries of the City of Milwaukee within 6 months of appointment.
- Meet all prescribed certification and licensing requirements during the course of the apprenticeship.
Best of luck as you pursue your future career with the City of Milwaukee!