Milwaukee Health Department Coronavirus COVID-19 updates. For assistance, please call the MHD COVID Hotline 414-286-6800

West Capitol Drive - North 84th Street to Highway 100/Mayfair Road

Improvements to West Capitol Drive from 84th Street to Highway 100/Mayfair Road began on April 15, 2013, and are scheduled to be completed by late November 2013.  This project is a joint venture between the City of Milwaukee and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.  Federal/State funds will pay for 90% of the project costs, with the remaining 10% to be shared between the City of Milwaukee and the City of Wauwatosa.

The bridge over the Menomonee River will also be improved.  Federal/State funds will pay for 95% of the bridge project costs, with the remaining 5% to be shared by both cities.

The improvements include removing the existing pavement and constructing a new concrete pavement. The alignment of the existing outside curb line will remain the same except for the westerly 500 feet of the project, where the outside curbs will be pushed out four feet on each side to accommodate two left-turn lanes at Mayfair Road.

The median will be narrowed by two feet on each side for bicycle accommodations.  Curb and gutter and driveway approaches will be replaced the entire length of the project.  Sidewalks will be replaced where necessary.  The bridge structure will be removed and replaced.

Another highlight of the project - the intersection at N. 100th Street and W. Capitol Drive will be reconfigured slightly.  The large flower bed that welcomes visitors to Milwaukee will now be located on the southwest corner of this new intersection.

During construction, West Capitol Drive will be open to traffic on one side of the roadway with two 11-foot wide lanes of traffic - one in each direction.

Milwaukee County Transit System bus routes and schedules will remain unchanged during the construction process.  Bus stops may be moved to accommodate construction work but will be in the same general area, and will be marked with temporary bus stop signs.

October 2013 Project Update - please click here

August 2013 Project Update - Stage Two Begins - please click here.

July 2013 Project Update - please click here.

May 2013 Project Update -  please click here.

For a map of the entire project area, please click here.

For a map of the Capitol/Lisbon/N. 100th St. section, please click here.

For a copy of the press release, please click here.

For more information on this project, or if you wish to be added to the project list, please call or send an email to: 

Liaison: Cecilia Gilbert
Telephone: 414.286.3318 



This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System