Recycling is required by State law and City ordinance. Learn more about Milwaukee's recycling program.
Recyclables should be loose in the bin or cart. Do NOT place recyclables in plastic bags as the bags make sorting more difficult and the plastic can get wrapped around equipment.
Help prevent squirrels from wanting to get what is in your cart - rinse food waste out of recyclables before putting them in the bin.
Accepted Item Examples:
Aluminum and steel cans, food and beverage cartons, glass bottle and jars, cereal boxes, newspaper, magazines and mail, flattened cardboard, and paper tubes, and plastic kitchen, laundry, and bath bottles and containers.
The following items are NOT allowed in your curbside recycling cart:
- Plastic bags and wraps
- Fire hazards (i.e. batteries, propane tanks)
- Tanglers (i.e. hoses, wire, cords, etc.)
- Needles and Sharps
- Scrap metal (including car rotors)
- Styrofoam & Plastic #3, #4, #6, & #7
- Window glass, mirrors, and bulbs
- Wood including furniture
- Hazardous chemicals
- Ceramics including dish ware and drinking glasses
- Food and yard waste