Site Plan Review Overlay Zone (SP)
The Site Plan Review Overlay Zone adds design and building placement standards over and above those required by the base zoning district. These standards are intended to provide improved buffers, pedestrian and vehicular access, and neighborhood compatibility and transition.
Projects within a Site Plan Review Overlay Zone must go before the City Plan Commission for approval. Design Standards for each Site Plan Review Overlay Zone are approved by the Common Council and are used as the basis for review and approval. Projects may apply also apply for a deviation from a performance or design standard of a Site Plan Review Overlay Zone. We encourage you to discuss your proposal with DCD Planning staff prior to submitting an application.
Applications and Procedures
Please email copies of your application to [email protected].
We will invoice the application fee and provide you with instructions on how to pay the fee online.
You may mail the original documents to:
Dept. of City Development - Planning Administration
809 N. Broadway, 2nd Floor
Milwaukee, WI 53202
To establish a Site Plan Review Overlay Zone please contact Planning Administration at [email protected]
Approved Site Plan Review Overlay Zones
Below is a list of active SPROZs in the City of Milwaukee, their establishing file number(s), street address, and pdf of documents that preceeded Legistar. Visit Map Milwaukee for exact zoning boundaries, and Legistar for documents relating to the overlays. For documents related to the overlays that aren't on Legistar or linked below, feel free to email [email protected].
- Milwaukee River Greenway
- 6000 South 6th (File# 181536/181538 - 6000 South 6th Street)
- Church for Balm of Gilead (File# 980290 - 6220 North 84th Street) Exhibits
- Hardware Store (File# 84-442 - 2960 South Chase Avenue) Exhibit
- Humboldt & Vienna (File# 991406 - 3701 North Humboldt Boulevard)
- Lake View Village Addition (File#86-157,a - 9704/9722 West Allyn Street)
- Messmer High School (File# 981712 - 600 West Capitol Drive) Exhibits
- Minor's Garden City (File# 880622 - Approx. 7901 North 76th Street)
- Moon's Super Cycle (File# 981712 - 9903 West Brown Deer Road) Exhibits
- Mt. Sinai Samaritan Medical (File# 930131 - 1020 North 12th Street)
- Pick 'N Save (File# 871271 - Approx. North 76th Street & West Good Hope Road)
- River View (File# 050308 - South of West Bradley Road & East of North Granville Road)
- South 10th Street & West Layton Avenue (File# 85-1383-a&b - Approx. 938 West Layton Avenue)
- South 14th St. & West Burnham St. (File# 86-369-a - 1331 West Burnham Street)
- Walgreen's (File# 931406 - 620 West Oklahoma Avenue)
- Walgreen's (File# 912094 - 2830 North Oakland Avenue)
- West Bluemound Rd from North 77th St to North 79th St (File# 86-160-a - 7777 West Blue Mound Road)
- Woodview Apartments (File# 901071 - 7323 West Brown Deer Road) Exhibits