- SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
- CONSTRUCTION UPDATES
- COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS
- YOUR FEEDBACK & COMMENTS
- CONTACT US
We aim to provide construction updates every two-three weeks throughout the duration of the project. Updates will be posted here and emailed to those who have signed up through the project website. All work is weather dependent and subject to change.
Start Date: July 11, 2022
New Anticipated Completion: December 7, 2022
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works, in partnership with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT), has successfully completed the reconstruction of the West Calumet Bridge over the Little Menomonee River. The project area is now reopened to traffic.
The following work was completed as part of the project:
- Removed the West Calumet Bridge over the Little Menomonee River and replaced it with a four-cell box culvert bridge.
- A new roadway on top of the bridge was built to accommodate two 12-foot driving lanes and 8-foot shoulders.
- Storm sewer improvements.
The project team thanks you for your patience and cooperation throughout this project!
- The contractor is currently working to place base aggregate materials of the roadway along with electrical conduit in preparation for concrete pavement and curb and gutter the week of November 21, 2022. Posted 11/17/22
- This week, the contractor expects to complete damp proofing, pipe underdrain installation, and structural backfill on the east side of the bridge. Beginning the week of November 7, crews will pour the concrete headwalls for the culverts, place base course, and finish conduit installation in preparation for paving later this month. Posted 11/2/22
The contractor made modifications to the sheeting due to the heavy amount of rain over the last two weeks. Currently, the wing walls are being excavated and the site will be leveled before the precast box (cells 1 and 2) and wing walls are installed at the end of next week. Damp proofing, pipe underdrain installation and structural backfill will follow. The overall anticipated completion date has been revised to December 7, 2022 (originally set for late November 2022). Posted 9/23/22
Storm sewer removal and replacement is currently taking place this week on West Calumet Road Bridge. The installation of the precast box (cells 1 and 2) and wing walls is tentatively scheduled for the week of September 19th. Damp proofing, pipe underdrain installation and structural backfill will follow. Posted 9/9/22
- Excavation and removal of the west abutment pavement is nearly complete. The removal of the substructure will finish next week. A crew will layout the storm sewer which will be installed during the week of September 6th. The installation of the precast box (cell 1 and 2) and precast wings is now anticipated for mid-September. Posted 8/26/22
- Due to utility work coordination, the installation of sheeting will be finished on Saturday, August 13th. Removal of the west abutment wall and other substructure components, and excavation will occur over the next two weeks. Toward the end of the month, the contractor anticipates setting the precast box (cell 1 and 2) and precast wings. Posted 8/12/22
The removal of the superstructure (West Calumet Road bridge deck) was completed earlier this week. Further utility coordination is taking place before the sheeting installation is fully completed to de-water the work zone. The west abutment wall is anticipated to be removed next week, and excavation and removal of other substructure components will continue into mid-August. Posted 7/29/22
- West Calumet Road bridge reconstruction project started on July 11th with the full closure of the bridge. The contractor has completed setting up erosion control, saw cutting the pavement, and removing the bridge guardrail. The debris containment system will be installed early next week to begin the removal of the superstructure (bridge deck). The substructure (west abutment wall) will be removed the following week. Storm sewer work will also take place toward the end of the month into early August. Posted 7/15/22
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works and State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation are removing the West Calumet Bridge Over the Little Menomonee River and replacing it with a four cell box culvert bridge. A new roadway on top of the structure will be built. The new bridge will be 46 feet in length and 50 feet wide, providing two 12-foot driving lanes and an 8-foot shoulder.
The existing bridge was built in 1937 and the bridge deck was replaced in 1988. Around 1,700 vehicles travel on this local roadway per day.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
West Calumet Road Bridge will be fully closed to both pedestrian and vehicular traffic between North 91st Street and North Granville Road.
Adjacent properties will be accessible from North Granville Road.
On-street parking will be restricted within the project limits.
Milwaukee County Transit Service will not be impacted.
Work is allowed Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Estimated cost of the project is $1,437,500. State aid will pay for 80% of the cost. The City will pay for the remaining 20%. No assessments to property owners are currently anticipated as part of this project.
COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS
A traditional Public Information Meeting was not be held due to the potential health risks associated with COVID-19. Surrounding property owners were notified of the project through a mailing with comment forms.
Thank you for your input and suggestions during the design phase of this project. The public comment period was open from 8/12/20 to 7/14/21. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Theresa Kubista, Project Manager, at [email protected] or 414-286-2463.