WEST CALUMET BRIDGE
OVER THE LITTLE MENOMONEE RIVER
RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT

Milwaukee Health Department Coronavirus COVID-19 updates. For assistance, please call the MHD COVID Hotline 414-286-6800

  • SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
  • CONSTRUCTION UPDATES
  • OVERVIEW
  • COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS
  • YOUR FEEDBACK & COMMENTS
  • CONTACT US 

Sign up to receive project updates in your inbox!

Name 

Email 

CONSTRUCTION UPDATES

We aim to provide construction updates every two-three weeks throughout the duration of the project. Updates will be posted here and emailed to those who have signed up through the project website. All work is weather dependent and subject to change.

Start Date: July 11, 2022
Anticipated Completion: Late November 2022


AUGUST

  • Due to utility work coordination, the installation of sheeting will be finished on Saturday, August 13th. Removal of the west abutment wall and other substructure components, and excavation will occur over the next two weeks. Toward the end of the month, the contractor anticipates setting the precast box (cell 1 and 2) and precast wings. Posted 8/12/22

JULY 

  • The removal of the superstructure (West Calumet Road bridge deck) was completed earlier this week. Further utility coordination is taking place before the sheeting installation is fully completed to de-water the work zone. The west abutment wall is anticipated to be removed next week, and excavation and removal of other substructure components will continue into mid-August. Posted 7/29/22

  • West Calumet Road bridge reconstruction project started on July 11th with the full closure of the bridge. The contractor has completed setting up erosion control, saw cutting the pavement, and removing the bridge guardrail. The debris containment system will be installed early next week to begin the removal of the superstructure (bridge deck). The substructure (west abutment wall) will be removed the following week. Storm sewer work will also take place toward the end of the month into early August. Posted 7/15/22

OVERVIEW

The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works and State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation are removing the West Calumet Bridge Over the Little Menomonee River and replacing it with a four cell box culvert bridge. A new roadway on top of the structure will be built. The new bridge will be 46 feet in length and 50 feet wide, providing two 12-foot driving lanes and an 8-foot shoulder.

The existing bridge was built in 1937 and the bridge deck was replaced in 1988. Around 1,700 vehicles travel on this local roadway per day.

WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION

TRAFFIC STAGING
West Calumet Road Bridge will be fully closed to both pedestrian and vehicular traffic between North 91st Street and North Granville Road. 

DRIVEWAY ACCESS
Adjacent properties will be accessible from North Granville Road.

PARKING
On-street parking will be restricted within the project limits.

BUS ROUTE
Milwaukee County Transit Service will not be impacted. 

CONSTRUCTION HOURS
Work is allowed Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

FUNDING

Estimated cost of the project is $1,437,500. State aid will pay for 80% of the cost. The City will pay for the remaining 20%. No assessments to property owners are currently anticipated as part of this project. 

MAP

COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS

A traditional Public Information Meeting was not be held due to the potential health risks associated with COVID-19. Surrounding property owners were notified of the project through a mailing with comment forms. 

ONLINE COMMENTS 

Thank you for your input and suggestions during the design phase of this project. The public comment period was open from 8/12/20 to 7/14/21. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Theresa Kubista, Project Manager, at tkubis@milwaukee.gov or 414-286-2463

PROJECT CONTACTS

Seth Keller, raSmith - Construction Supervisor
262-901-2235
seth.keller@rasmith.com

Elliot Smyth, City of Milwaukee Construction Supervisor
414-704-0468
esmyth@milwaukee.gov

Megan O'Connor, Project Liaison
414-708-1433
moconnor@milwaukee.gov

 

 

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System

Menu

X