WEST FOND DU LAC AVENUE SAFETY IMPROVEMENT PROJECT
- The Fond Du Lac Avenue project began in April 2020 with the majority of the work completed in late June. Finishing touches include street lighting, some excavation and installation of permeable pavers in the terrace along the corridor near the Sherman Phoenix building. Mayor Tom Barrett and City officials, along with community and business leaders, gathered in the Sherman Phoenix Plaza to recognize the improvements on West Fond Du Lac Avenue on July 15th. In case you missed it, City Channel 25 filmed the event so you can watch it here. (Added 7/17/20)
- Topsoil and sod will be finished in the median and curbside bump outs today, June 12th. Next week, crews will set pavement markings and add an asphalt strip along the sidewalk on W. Fond Du Lac Ave between N. 37th to N. 38th St. Once completed, any minor items remaining will be addressed and crews will begin to clean up the jobsite. (Added 6/12/20)
- Majority of the concrete work has been completed on the W. Fond Du Lac Ave Safety Improvement Project. Installation of street lights, conduit and wiring is ongoing. Starting the week of June 1st, crews will place topsoil and sod in the median and curbside bump outs. Once landscape work is complete, permanent pavement markings will be installed. (Added 5/29/20)
- The roadway pavement and curb has been completed on the outside lanes of West Fond du Lac Avenue at the intersections of N. 36th to N. 38th streets. We anticipate sidewalk restoration to be completed by May 8th, weather permitting. Once complete, traffic will be switched to the outside lanes for the contractor to begin work in the median. (Added 5/7/20)
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works will reconstruct the intersections of West Fond du Lac Avenue from North 36th to North 38th streets to enhance pedestrian safety and improve the overall operation of the roadway. The project will consist of re-configuring the intersections and turn lanes by adding curb extensions, pedestrian refuge islands and new marked crosswalks.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
The project will be split into two major stages to minimize how construction will impact residents, businesses, and the traveling public.
Stage 1: Construction will take place on the north side of West Fond du Lac Avenue.
- One northbound lane and two southbound lanes will be maintained.
- The intersections of N. 36th and N. 37th Streets will be constructed one-half at a time to maintain through traffic.
Stage 2: Construction will take place on the south side of West Fond du Lac Avenue.
- One lane of southbound traffic will be maintained and two northbound lanes will be open.
- N. 36th, N. 37th and N. 38th Streets will be closed to through traffic on the south side of West Fond du Lac Avenue.
Parking: There will be on-street parking restrictions within the project limits during construction.
Pedestrian Access: Short-term disruptions will occur when curb ramps and surrounding sidewalk are being removed and rebuilt. Access will be maintained to abutting properties during construction with the least amount of inconvenience.
Bus Route: Both north and southbound stops at North 38th Street on the Blueline may temporarily discontinue. Please visit ridemcts.com for route details and schedule.
Driveway Access: City staff and the contractor will work to minimize the amount of time any driveway access is restricted.
Construction Hours: Work is allowed Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
|Lynn Des Jardins
|Support for Business Liaison
Sign up to receive construction updates on this project-email [email protected]