North 27th Street - West St. Paul Avenue to West Highland Boulevard

 Project Summary

Beginning in August 2013, the City of Milwaukee and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) will improve North 27th Street from West St. Paul Avenue to West Highland Boulevard, and West Wisconsin Avenue from North 26th Street to North 28th Street.  The project is scheduled to be completed in December 2013.

The project will consist of reconstructing the roadway with new concrete.  North 27th Street be narrowed from 52 feet to 50 feet between St. Paul and Wisconsin avenues.  This will match the existing width of roadway north of Wisconsin Avenue.  The new roadway will provide a shared 13-foot parking/bicycle lane and a 12-foot driving lane in each direction.  Curb, gutter, driveway approaches and sidewalks will be replaced.  New harp lights will replace the current light fixtures, and the existing cobra fixtures will be upgraded to Milwaukee lantern fixtures.

The construction will take place in two stages.  During Stage One, the east side of the roadway will be closed to traffic.  The west side of the roadway will provide one-way traffic moving southbound.  The detour route for northbound traffic will start at St. Paul Avenue.  Traffic will be routed east to 26th Street, then north on 26th Street to Clybourn Street, east on Clybourn to 16th Street, north on 16th Street to Highland Boulevard, and west on HIghland to 20th Street.  During this phase, Milwaukee County Transit System bus stops will be moved to 26th Street.  Approximately 80 feet of parking will be removed on each block where the bus stops will be re-located.

Following completion of Stage One, the newly completed east side of the roadway will be opened to provide two-way traffic.  The west side of the roadway will then be closed to traffic.  No on-street parking will be available on North 27th Street during the construction project.  Passengers utlitizing Milwaukee County Transit System buses will access the southbound bus at a location at the construction site.  After the project is completed, the current parking and corresponding restrictions will be restored.

Similar reconstruction work will occur on West Wisconsin Avenue during the same time period, with new concrete, curb, gutter, sidewalks and decorative crosswalks.  On West Wisconsin Avenue during Stage One, one lane of traffic will be open in each direction.  For the first weekend of Stage Two, all lanes of traffic will be closed to through traffic on Wisconsin Ave. between North 26th and North 28th streets.  Traffic will be re-routed on both ends of the project.  After that first weekend, all lanes will be open again on Wisconsin Ave.

Sidewalk access - One sidewalk will be open for pedestrian traffic at all times throughout the project.

Federal and WisDOT funds will be used to finance 91.7% of the construction costs.  The remaining 8.3% will be financed by the City of Milwaukee.

Update: October 18 - click here

Update: October 14-18 - click here

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - click here

Media Advisory - click here


For more information on this project, please contact Cecilia Gilbert:                                   Phone: 414.286.3318 
Email:  [email protected]



This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System