- CONSTRUCTION UPDATES
- PROJECT OVERVIEW
- WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- COMMUNITY MEETINGS
- CONTACT US
- As of November 30th, North Teutonia Avenue will reopen to two-way traffic. Remaining work includes the activation of the permanent traffic signals and street lighting, and minor concrete items. Trees will be planted in the spring of 2021 per DOT contract. (Added 11/30/20)
- The installation of the new traffic signal poles and wiring connections on North Teutonia Avenue will take place over the next several weeks. The sidewalk on the east side of the street and asphalt tie-ins for driveways is anticipated to be completed during the week of November 16th. Once the sidewalk is done, landscaping will follow through November 25th. The final pavement markings may be set at the end of the month. (Added 11/11/20)
- The concrete work for the side street intersections and curb is almost done. The installation of street light bases and vaults will be finished by October 30th. Crews have started to pour concrete for the new sidewalk and we anticipate all the sidewalk to be done by mid-November. During the week of November 9th, we are planning to tie-in the side street intersections and driveway approaches with asphalt. Landscaping will most likely occur mid-November. (Added 10/28/20)
- The roadway pavement in the northbound lane of Teutonia Avenue has been completed. Currently, crews are pouring concrete in the side street intersections and putting in the curb. Sidewalk removal and installation of street lighting conduit are also taking place on the east side of the street. Over the next two weeks, we will be grading the sidewalk area, setting up the forms and pouring concrete for the new sidewalk. Please anticipate short-term disruptions during the sidewalk restoration process. (Added 10/13/20)
- Starting September 30th, crews will pour the concrete pavement in the northbound lane on North Teutonia Avenue. We anticipate the mainline pavement to be done by the end of the week, weather permitting. Crews are planning to set forms and pour concrete for the curb and gutter during the week of October 5th. The contractor will then pour concrete in the intersections and begin to remove the remaining sidewalk. The order of operation for this work will start at West Capitol Drive and head south toward West Groeling Avenue. Please anticipate disruptions at intersections and driveway access, on the east side of the street, while the operation progresses through the project. (Added 9/29/20)
- Underground conduit work is wrapping up this week. Grading and graveling for stage 2 of construction will be finished by September 25th. The contractor will set the string lines in the northbound lane during the week of September 28th. String lines are used to guide both trimmers and paving equipment. This trimming operation may cause some disruption to driveway access as they pass through the area. We anticipate the paving operation to begin early October. (Added 9/16/20)
- Underground conduit work and graveling is following behind the grading operation in the segment where pavement has been removed on North Teutonia Avenue. The contractor has started breaking and removing the existing pavement, south of West Keefe Avenue toward West Groeling Avenue. This work will continue over the next two to three weeks. We anticipate setting up the string lines and having the northbound lane prepped for paving operations at the end of the month. (Added 9/2/20)
- The second stage of construction on North Teutonia Avenue started on August 5th. Pavement removal has been completed from West Capitol Drive to West Keefe Avenue. The contractor has started grading within that segment, which will take the rest of the week to complete. Underground conduit work and graveling will follow behind the grading operation. Breaking and removing the existing pavement between West Keefe Avenue to West Groeling Avenue will start in early September. (Added 8/19/20)
- The traffic switch on North Teutonia Avenue will occur on Wednesday, August 5th. During this stage, the northbound lane and majority of the side streets on the east side, including N. 21st Street between N. Teutonia Ave. to W. Capitol Dr., will be closed to thru traffic. Once traffic control is in place, the contractor will begin to break and remove the existing pavement in the northbound lane, including curb and driveway approaches, and half of the sidewalk width. Removals will start from West Capitol Drive, and will head south to West Groeling Avenue. Sidewalk access to abutting properties will be maintained. Access to commercial driveways will be temporarily closed when the crews are removing pavement through the crossing and will be restored with gravel. Underground conduit work will follow behind the pavement removal. This work will take about four to five weeks. (Added 8/4/20)
- The contractor is working to complete sidewalk restoration on the west side of the street by the end of this week. Landscaping, joint sealing and asphalt tie-ins will take place next week. We are aiming to switch traffic on Friday, July 31st to begin the second stage of construction. As a reminder for this next stage, the northbound lane and majority of the side streets on the east side, including N. 21st Street between N. Teutonia Ave. to W. Capitol Dr., will be closed to thru traffic. One lane of southbound traffic will be maintained. Street parking will be restricted throughout the project. The temporary customer parking lot at the corner of Nash and Teutonia will be available to use starting July 31st. Overnight parking at this lot is not allowed. (Added 7/22/20)
- The roadway pavement for Stage 1 of construction has been completed. Sidewalk restoration will continue into next week. Following sidewalk completion, we will seal the concrete joints in the roadway and begin landscape work on the west side of the street. We are aiming to switch traffic and begin stage 2 of construction by the end of this month, or first week of August. (Added 7/9/20)
- The mainline pavement, curb and gutter has been completed on the west side of N. Teutonia Ave. Over the next two weeks, the contractor will pour concrete in the intersections and will begin to remove the remaining sidewalk on the west side of the street. Crews will start at West Groeling Avenue and move north toward West Capitol Drive. Following behind removals, crews will set up the forms and pour the new sidewalk. Please anticipate short-term disruptions during the sidewalk restoration process. (Added 6/26/20)
- The contractor will start pouring the mainline concrete pavement the week of June 8th and will continue into the following week. East-westbound traffic will be restricted on West Chambers Street at North Teutonia Avenue through June 13th as the concrete cures at this intersection. Toward the end of next week, crews will begin to set forms to pour concrete for the curb and gutter. Curb and gutter will also be on the schedule for the week of June 22nd. As a reminder, please anticipate disruptions at intersections and driveway access, on the west side of the street, while the paving operation progresses through the project. Street lighting conduit work will follow behind the curb and gutter. Regarding the proposed temporary parking lot at the corner of N. Teutonia Ave and Nash, it will be established before Stage 2 of construction begins. The lot is currently storing crushed gravel that will be used during this stage. Street parking is currently available on the east side of the street. (Added 6/10/20)
- Pavement removal and grading for stage 1 of construction will be finished by June 5th. The contractor will set the string lines in the southbound lane during the week of June 8th. String lines are used to guide both trimmers and paving equipment. Crews will begin to pour the mainline concrete pavement starting the week of June 15th, weather permitting. Once completed, curb and gutter will be installed. The paving operation will start at W. Groeling Ave., and head north toward W. Capitol Dr. Please anticipate disruptions at intersections and driveway access, on the west side of the street, while the paving operation progresses through the project. The concrete work will take place over the next several weeks. (Added 5/29/20)
- Storm sewer connections for both stages of construction will be complete by May 15th. To date, pavement removal and grading has been completed from W. Groeling Ave to W. Keefe Ave. We anticipate pavement removal from W. Keefe Ave to W. Capitol Dr. to finish by June 5th. As a reminder, access to commercial driveways will be temporarily closed when the crews are removing pavement through the crossing and will be restored with gravel. Underground conduit work will continue to follow behind the pavement removal and grading operations. (Added 5/13/20)
- Starting Monday, April 20th, the contractor will begin to break and remove the existing pavement in the southbound lane, including curb and driveway approaches, and half of the sidewalk width. Removals will start from West Groeling Avenue, heading north, to West Capitol Drive. Sidewalk access to abutting properties will be maintained. Access to driveways will be temporarily closed when the crews are removing pavement through the crossing and will be restored with gravel. We will crush the pavement and stock-pile on site near the southern end of the project limits. The crushed pavement is recycled and reused as the base course. The removals and grading will take about three to four weeks. Underground conduit work will follow behind the pavement removal. Storm sewer connections will continue on N. Teutonia Ave from N. 20th St. to W. Capitol Dr. (Added 4/15/20)
- Sewer work for both Stage 1 and 2 is continuing on North Teutonia Avenue for the next few weeks. The contractor started at N. Teutonia Ave and N. 20th St., and has worked south, block by block. Crews are currently in the area of West Ring Street. There are a few more sewer connections remaining in the northbound lane between W. Ring St. and W. Groeling Ave., and from N. 20th St. to W. Capitol Dr. that will require day-time northbound traffic restrictions. We anticipate pavement removals in the southbound lane to begin the first week of May. (Added 4/9/20)
- Storm sewer work will take place over the next three weeks. To accelerate the overall project schedule, we will complete storm sewer work planned for stage 2, while crews are out there now. The contractor will start at N. Teutonia Ave and N. 20th St., and will work south toward W. Groeling Ave, block by block. There will be day-time northbound traffic restrictions in the direct area where crews are working and that segment of the northbound lane will re-open at the end of each day. Local access to businesses will be allowed in the northbound lane/work zone. By the end of March 27th, water hydrant alterations, catch basin and lateral adjustments will be complete. (Added 3/26/20)
Start: March 16, 2020
End: December 2020
*All work is weather dependent and subject to change
TheNorth Teutonia Avenue project will consist of removing the deteriorated pavement from West Groeling Avenue to West Capitol Drive and replacing it with new concrete pavement, curb & gutter, driveway approaches and sidewalk. Street lighting and traffic signals will be updated and storm sewer inlets and laterals will be replaced as needed. Once completed, the roadway will accommodate one driving lane, parking lane and a bicycle lane in each direction.
The majority of the project is scheduled to be complete in December 2020 with landscape and electrical work planned in 2021.
PDF - Project Overview
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
To minimize how construction will impact residents, businesses, and the traveling public, the project will be split into two major stages.
STAGE 1: The southbound lane of North Teutonia Avenue will be closed for construction. Majority of the side streets on the west side of the project will be closed. One lane of northbound traffic and on-street parking will be maintained on the east side of the roadway. There will be parking restrictions during some utility and concrete pavement operations.
The following intersections will be open to east-westbound through traffic: W. Chambers St. and W. Capitol Dr.
Eastbound traffic on W. Nash St. and westbound traffic on W. Melvina St. will be maintained
STAGE 2: The northbound lane of North Teutonia Avenue will be closed for construction. Majority of the side streets on the east side of the project will be closed. One lane of southbound traffic will be maintained on the newly completed roadway. On-street parking will be restricted.
W. Capitol Dr. will be open to east-westbound through traffic. Westbound traffic on W. Chambers St. and eastbound traffic on W. Nash St. will be maintained.
In addition to on-street parking during Stage 1, a temporary parking lot will be provided at the corner of W. Nash St. and N. Teutonia Ave. for residents and customers to continue to support the local businesses throughout construction. To access the parking lot:
- Stage 1: Travel northbound on N. 20th St., turn right at W. Nash St.
- Stage 2: Travel southbound on N. Teutonia Ave., turn right at W. Nash St.
Pedestrian access will be maintained to abutting properties during construction with the least amount of inconvenience. Short-term disruptions will occur when sidewalks are being removed and rebuilt.
- Stage 1: East-west pedestrian crossings through the work zone will be maintained at the following intersections: Chambers, Nash and Melvina
- Stage 2: East-west pedestrian crossings through the work zone will be maintained at the following intersections: Chambers and Vienna
*Over the course of the project, changes may occur to the pedestrian crossing locations.
Residential driveways: Access will be restricted in the work zone. Temporary overnight parking permit instructions will be provided to those affected.
Commercial driveways: There will be disruptions to driveway access such as when the contractor is breaking and removing pavement, grading, putting in the curb and gutter, and paving. Project staff will notify property owners 48 hours in advance when any driveway is being removed and rebuilt.
Route 12: Will detour off of Teutonia between Locust and Atkinson. Buses will use 7th Street during this time.
Route 60: Will detour off of Burleigh between Hopkins and 7th. Buses will use Locust during this time.
Work is allowed Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. The sawing of the mainline concrete pavement outside of those hours will be allowed due to the fact it has to be completed right after initial set and before random cracking occurs. The placement of the mainline concrete pavement is a critical milestone in keeping these large paving projects on schedule. Any work scheduled on weekends will need approval from the Department of Public Works.
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works held a public involvement meeting to receive input and share project details with residents and businesses located in the project area. The meeting was held on June 15, 2017 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m at Siloah E.V. Lutheran Church. Seven people attended the open house.
The Support for Business Liaison and representatives from the Department of City Development Commercial Corridor hosted a meeting with business owners on November 20, 2019 at the Church of the Living God from noon to 1:30 p.m. Nine representatives from local businesses attended the meeting to learn more about the Support for Business program and receive information on available resources.
A pre-construction meeting was held by the contractor and project team for residents and community members to receive details on the construction schedule, staging, and address concerns of expected impacts. Eight community members attended the open house meeting at the Milwaukee Public Library - Atkinson Branch on March 9, 2020 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.