NORTH TEUTONIA AVENUE RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT
- Landscape work on N. Teutonia Ave. from W. Garfield Ave to W. Groeling Ave. is anticipated to be completed on May 29th. Starting the week of June 1st, crews will begin to place the permanent pavement markings which is anticipated to be completed by June 12th, weather permitting. Installation of new traffic signals, monotubes and street lights is ongoing. Traffic signal cable, fiber optic and electrical wiring has started throughout the project limits. Once completed, the new street lights and traffic signals will be energized and all temporary street light facilities will be removed. (Added 5/29/20)
- Sidewalk restoration on North Teutonia Avenue from W. Garfield Ave to W. Groeling Ave. has been completed. Landscaping will take place over the next two weeks. We anticipate the permanent pavement markings will be done by the end of the month. Electrical work will continue over the next couple of weeks. (Added 5/1/20)
- Signal installation and electrical work on North Teutonia Avenue continued through the winter as weather permitted. The remaining work will resume starting Monday, March 23rd and involves landscaping, additional pavement markings, and concrete sidewalk where there is currently asphalt at the major intersections. There will be temporary parking restrictions on the east side of N. Teutonia Ave (northbound lane), Monday through Friday, from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, to accommodate this work while providing a safe working zone. Two-way traffic will be maintained on N. Teutonia Ave from W. Garfield Ave to W. Groeling Ave. (Added 3/20/20)
- Starting November 22nd, North Teutonia Avenue from West Garfield Avenue to West Groeling Avenue will be open to two-way traffic. The contractor will finish asphalt work on November 23rd. Signal installation and electrical work will continue through the winter as weather permits. Traffic control will be positioned in the parking/bike lanes for the continued electrical work. In the spring, remaining work will involve landscaping, additional pavement markings, and concrete sidewalk where there is currently asphalt at the major intersections. (11/21)
- The contractor anticipates pouring the remaining concrete for the roadway pavement by November 8th. Sidewalk restoration will continue into the week of November 11th. Work is continuing with electrical conduit installation and street light bases throughout the project. The installation of pavement markings will take place over the next few weeks. The project is still on schedule to have the roadway back open to traffic in early December. All work is weather dependent. (11/8)
- The full traffic control for Stage 2 construction started October 14th with southbound traffic maintained throughout the project. We anticipate the mainline concrete pavement in the northbound lane on North Teutonia Avenue will be complete by October 25th. The contractor will then seal concrete pavement joints. During the week of October 28th, crews will begin pouring curb, south of West Center Street to West Garfield Avenue, and will start work in the remaining quadrants at the intersections of W. Locust St. and W. Center St. by removing the old pavement. Work is continuing with the conduit installation, CUC manholes and street light bases at various locations.(10/24)
- The mainline concrete pavement in the southbound lane on North Teutonia Avenue was completed on October 8th. Sidewalk restoration on the west side of the street is nearly complete with the exception of remaining work at the corner radiuses. Starting October 9th, there is a new temporary traffic pattern on N. Teutonia Ave.: Southbound traffic will be allowed on N. Teutonia Ave. from W. Groeling Ave. to W. Center St. The northbound lane in this segment will be closed to allow the contractor to start pavement removals and underground work for the next stage of construction. Northbound traffic will continue to drive on the existing northbound lane on N. Teutonia Ave. from W. North Ave. to W. Center St. Motorists will be directed to turn left or right onto Center St. at the intersection. We anticipate the full traffic control for Stage 2 construction to start Monday, October 14th with southbound traffic maintained throughout the project. (10/9)
- Sidewalk on the west side of North Teutonia Avenue has been restored from W. Groeling Ave. to about W. Center St. Sidewalk work will resume tomorrow Saturday, September 28th, weather permitting, and into next week to complete the new walk from W. Center St. to W. Garfield Ave. On October 2nd, the contractor will start pouring the mainline concrete on North Teutonia Avenue, beginning at W. Groeling Ave. and paving south toward W. Garfield Ave., weather permitting. The paving operation will take place over a few days and will need 7 to 10 days of curing time. During the week of October 7th, the contractor will pour concrete in remaining intersections and will seal all concrete pavement joints. Once complete, the next stage of operations will begin with setting up the new traffic control pattern. (9/27)
- During the week of September 9th, crews continued to install electrical conduit in preparation to set up the traffic signal and street light pole boxes. The storm sewer replacement in the northbound lane of Teutonia Avenue for the next stage is near complete. The contractor has removed pavement and is working in the intersections of W. Locust St, W Center St., and W. North Ave. The contractor has re-scheduled sidewalk removal and plans to pour concrete pavement in the intersections during the week of September 16th. (9/13)
- The contractor will begin to remove the sidewalk on the west side of Teutonia Avenue on September 6th, starting at West Groeling Avenue and work south toward West North Avenue. Crews will grade the surface and set the sidewalk forms in preparation to pour the concrete for the new sidewalk during the week of September 9th. (9/5)
- The reconstruction project of North Teutonia Avenue started in May with utility relocations and pavement removals. To date, most of the work has been removals, grading, graveling and underground work. The contractor has encountered unforeseen underground conditions that have cause minor delays in his operation, but is still on schedule to have the roadway back open to traffic in December. The contractor has completed storm sewer work in this stage and is in the process of installing storm sewers in the northbound lanes of Teutonia Avenue to accelerate the schedule for stage 2 of construction. Progress has been made in curb and pavement placement at the available intersections. As the project moves to above-ground work in early September, progress will accelerate by the contractor restoring the sidewalk, pouring the mainline concrete pavement and finishing the curb on the west side of the street.
The reconstruction project of North Teutonia Avenue from West Garfield Avenue to West Groeling Avenue will consist of removing the deteriorated pavement and replacing it with new concrete pavement, curbs & gutters, and driveway approaches. The addition of traffic calming measures, including curb bump outs and medians, will also be added. All sidewalk and pedestrian curb ramps will be rebuilt. New street lighting will be installed throughout the project and traffic signals will be replaced at the intersections with W. North Ave., W. Wright St., W. Center St., and W. Locust St. Storm sewer inlets and storm sewer laterals will be replaced as needed. The finished roadway will have one driving lane, bicycle lane and parking lane in each direction.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
To minimize how construction will impact residents, businesses, and the traveling public, the project will be split into two major stages:
Stage 1: The southbound lane of North Teutonia Avenue will be closed for construction. One lane of northbound traffic will be maintained on the east side of the roadway. Side streets on the west side of the project will be closed. The following intersections will be open to east-westbound through traffic: North Ave, Locust and Center.
Stage 2: The northbound lane of North Teutonia Avenue will be closed for construction. One lane of southbound traffic will be maintained on the newly constructed roadway. Side streets on the east side of the project will be closed. The following intersections will be open to east-westbound through traffic: North Ave, Locust and Center.
Driveway Access: Project staff and the contractor will work to minimize the amount of time any driveway access is restricted.
Pedestrian Access: Pedestrian access will be maintained to abutting properties during construction with the least amount of inconvenience. Short-term disruptions will occur when sidewalks are being removed and rebuilt.
Bus Route: #12 will be re-routed via 7th/8th from Walnut to Burleigh in both directions for the entire project. Signage will be posted to indicate where to board along the detour. There are no planned detours for cross routes 21 North Ave., 22 Center St., and 80 via Locust/Hopkins. Stops impacted near these corresponding intersections will be signed to board at nearby alternatives as needed.
Parking: On-street parking is not allowed during construction.
Construction Hours: Work is allowed from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sign up to receive construction updates on this project - email [email protected]