NORTH HOLTON STREET BRIDGE REHABILITATION PROJECT

  • OVERVIEW
  • COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS
  • YOUR FEEDBACK & COMMENTS
  • CONTACT US

OVERVIEW

The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works and Wisconsin Department of Transportation are planning a rehabilitation project on North Holton Street Bridge over the Milwaukee River from a point north of East Brady Street to East Glover/Reservoir Avenue. The North Holton Street Bridge was constructed in 1926, rehabilitated from 1987-1988, and has become structurally deficient. Around 10,200 vehicles travel over this bridge per day. 

PROJECT SCHEDULE

We are currently in the design phase. Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2023, and will take place in 3 phases over 3 years.

Phase I - View the 30% design plans here. This phase will be constructed in 2023. 

Phase II - Plans will be posted here when available. This phase will be constructed in 2024.
Phase III - Plans will be posted here when available. This phase will be constructed in 2025. 

SCOPE OF WORK

The proposed rehabilitation will consist of the following activities: 

  • Substructure repairs including structural steel repairs to select bents (otherwise known as piers or substructure units), girder repair at select bents, concrete substructure repairs to all bents, and stairway replacement at one location.    
  • Structural steel repairs to super structure including main girders, floor beams, stringer, and trusses.   
  • Installation of new expansion joints on bridge deck. 
  • Painting of all bents and super structure.  

One lane of traffic in each direction will be open across the bridge throughout the duration of the project. Pedestrian access will also be maintained. There may be short term closures of the Marsupial Bridge.  

FUNDING

The estimated total cost of all 3 phases is $12.7 million. Estimated cost of Phase 1 is $5 million. Federal aid will pay for 80% of the cost, and the City will pay the remaining 20%. No property assessments are currently anticipated as part of this project. 

MAP

COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS

The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works holds public involvement meetings to receive input and share project details with residents and businesses located in the project area. 

Virtual Public Involvement Meeting  - January 12, 2022 from 4:00 to 6:00 pm 
Presentation was provided at 4:00 p.m. and at 5:00 p.m.

Let us know where you see issues and opportunities for improvement on North Holton Street bridge. Please feel free to submit any questions or concerns related to this project. 

Name 

Address

Email 

Comment box

PROJECT CONTACTS

Greg Hafeman, WisDOT Project Manager
greg.hafeman@dot.wi.gov
262-548-8677

Theresa Kubista, City of Milwaukee Project Manager
tkubis@milwaukee.gov
414-286-2463

Megan O'Connor, Project Liaison
moconnor@milwaukee.gov
414-708-1433

 

 

Sign up to receive project updates in your inbox!

Name 

Email

 

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System

Menu

X