- CONSTRUCTION UPDATES
- WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS
- YOUR FEEDBACK & COMMENTS
- CONTACT US
We aim to provide construction updates every two weeks throughout the duration of the project. Updates will be posted here and sent to those who have signed up through the project website. All work is weather dependent and subject to change.
Start Date: July 19, 2021
Anticipated Completion: Early December 2021
- The North Lovers Lane bridge deck and curb on the west side has been poured and sealed. The roadway approaches are being removed and the contractor plans to pour concrete for the new approach slabs early next week. Crews have started the removal and replacement of slope paving beneath the bridge structure. Crack sealing on the underside of the bridge deck, abutments and piers will continue into next week.Toward the end of October, traffic will switch to the west side of the bridge. Posted 10/24/21
- Traffic control on North Lovers Lane Bridge was switched to the east side of the bridge on September 27th, maintaining one lane of traffic in each direction. The contractor has completed the milling operation on the west side of the bridge and is currently preparing the deck for concrete early next week. Following the deck pour, the contractor will remove and replace the roadway approaches during the week of October 11th. Posted 9/30/21
- Deck preparation for this current construction stage on North Lovers Lane Bridge has been completed. The contractor will pour the concrete overlay in the center lanes and seal the bridge deck, which is anticipated to be completed next week. During the last week of September, traffic control will be switched to have two-way traffic, one lane in each direction, on the east side of the bridge while the west side of the bridge is closed. Posted 9/16/21
- The construction staging and traffic control on North Lovers Lane Bridge is scheduled to change on September 2nd. The new traffic pattern will allow one lane of traffic in each direction on the respective sides of the bridge while the center lanes are closed. Both sidewalks will be open to pedestrians. Following the holiday weekend, the existing pavement in the center lanes will be removed. During the week of September 13th, the contractor will prepare the deck for a new concrete overlay. Posted 9/1/21
- The contractor plans to pour the concrete overlay for the east side bridge deck on Lovers Lane early next week (8/23). Once completed, crews will remove the concrete roadway approaches and grade the area. They will also adjust and rebuild storm sewer inlets to match the new approach slab elevation. The concrete for the new approach is scheduled to be poured in early September. Posted 8/18/21
- The temporary asphalt shoulder work on North Lovers Lane bridge was finished on July 26th. Traffic control for Stage 1 of construction will be installed on Tuesday, July 27th. The west side of the bridge will be open to two-way traffic, one lane in each direction, while the east side of the bridge is closed. The sidewalk on the west side will remain open to pedestrians. Later in the week of July 26th, the contractor will mill (remove) the existing pavement on the bridge deck and will prepare the deck for a new concrete overlay in early August. Posted 7/27/21
- During the week of July 19th, crews will install erosion control, set up traffic control equipment, and will resurface the southbound shoulder with temporary asphalt prior to stage 1 of construction. Posted 7/15/21
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works (DPW) and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) are conducting a rehabilitation project to improve North Lovers Lane Bridge over Union Pacific Railroad, which was originally built in 1970. About 9,000 vehicles per day travel on North Lovers Lane Road.
The work will consist of concrete surface repairs to the existing bridge components, placement of concrete overlay on the bridge’s driving surface, resurfacing about 100 feet of the roadway approach with asphalt on each side, and installing guard rails. The gravel shoulder within the limits of the project will be reconstructed. Curb and gutter, concrete sidewalk and bicycle lanes will be considered for construction to replace the existing gravel shoulder when North Lover Lane Road is scheduled for improvement.
The existing bridge deck will be removed and constructed in three stages to keep North Lovers Lane Road open for two way traffic during construction.
The bridge structure and limited portion of the roadway impacted by the construction of the bridge will be funded 80% with Federal/State aid and 20% by the City of Milwaukee. There are no assessments to property owners at this time.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
START: July 19, 2021
COMPLETION: Early December 2021
Stage 1: The west side of the bridge will be open to two-way traffic, one lane in each direction, while the east side of the bridge is closed for construction. The sidewalk on the west side will remain open to pedestrians.
Stage 2: The east side of the bridge will be open to two-way traffic, one lane in each direction, while the west side of the bridge is closed. The sidewalk on the east side will remain open to pedestrians.
Stage 3: The center lanes of the bridge will be closed. One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained on respective sides of the bridge. Both sidewalks will be open to pedestrians.
Access to adjacent properties will remain open.
On-street parking is restricted.
Milwaukee County Transit System bus route service is not impacted.
Work is allowed Monday - Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS
A traditional Public Information Meeting was not be held due to the potential health risks associated with COVID-19. Surrounding property owners were notified of the project through a mailing with comment forms.