LOCUST STREET
RECONDITION PROJECT

Milwaukee Health Department Coronavirus COVID-19 updates. For assistance, please call the MHD COVID Hotline 414-286-6800

  • SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
  • OVERVIEW
  • COMMUNITY MEETINGS
  • YOUR FEEDBACK & COMMENTS
  • CONTACT US

Sign up to receive project updates!

Name 

Email 

OVERVIEW

The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works and Wisconsin Department of Transportation are planning a reconditioning project on East/West Locust Street from North 7th Street to North Holton Street. E/W Locust Street was constructed in the 1960s and was rehabilitated in 1996 and 2003. Approximately 30,500 vehicles travel between North 7th Street and North Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and approximately 22,400 travel between North Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and North Holton Street per day.

PROJECT SCHEDULE

We are currently in the design phase. Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2024 and will take place in 2 stages in one construction season. One lane of traffic in each direction will be open throughout the duration of the project utilizing a crossover to move traffic to either the north side or south side of the existing median depending on the construction stage. Pedestrian access will also be maintained. Parking will be eliminated on Locust Street during construction.  

SCOPE OF WORK

The proposed reconditioning will consist of the following activities: 

  • Mill and overlay existing pavement
  • Curb ramp replacements to meet ADA compliance
  • Addition of pinned concrete island at select intersections
  • Minor concrete median improvements to improve pedestrian safety
  • Replacement of curb & gutter, sidewalks, and driveway approaches in select location
  • Lighting replacement
  • Traffic signal replacement
  • Updating crosswalk markings to help facilitate pedestrian movement
  • Restriping the corridor to replace the existing parking lane in the eastbound direction with a bike lane and maintaining parking in the westbound direction with a shared bike lane.  
DESIGN PLANS
FUNDING

The estimate cost is $4.13 million.  Federal aid will pay for 80% of the cost, and the City will pay the remaining 20%.  

Property assessments will go out to property owners near the end of the design stage. Assessments to owners will include sidewalk and driveway approach replacement in front of their property.  Assessments will be calculated for sidewalk and driveway replacement based on the City’s share of the final cost. 

MAP

 

COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS

The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works holds public involvement meetings to receive input and share project details with residents and businesses located in the project area. 

Virtual Public Involvement Meeting  – June 29, 2022 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

PROJECT CONTACTS

Greg Hafeman, WisDOT Local Program Project Manager
greg.hafeman@dot.wi.gov
262-548-8677

Lindsay Kaufmann, Michael Baker International Consultant Project Manager
414-751-9984
lkaufmann@mbakerintl.com

Theresa Kubista, City of Milwaukee Project Manager
414-286-2463
tkubis@milwaukee.gov

Megan O'Connor, Project Liaison
moconnor@milwaukee.gov
414-708-1433

ONLINE COMMENTS

Thank you for your input and suggestions during the design phase of this project. The public comment period is closed (as of 7/20/22). If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact:

Lindsay Kaufmann, Michael Baker International Consultant Project Manager
414-751-9984
lkaufmann@mbakerintl.com

Theresa Kubista, City of Milwaukee Project Manager
414-286-2463
tkubis@milwaukee.gov

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System

Menu

X