• Refine Search

  • All Results


Can the City Attorney represent private citizens?

No. The City Attorney does not represent individuals in private legal matters. Attorneys in the office only represent the City, its officials, departments, boards, commissions, other agencies and its employees in the course of their official business.

Should I report possible crimes or code violations to the City Attorney’s Office?

No. To report a crime, call the Milwaukee Police Department non-emergency number 414-933-4444. If it is an emergency, call 9-1-1. Click here to file a police report

Reports of possible building, housing or zoning code violations should be made to the City of Milwaukee Department of Neighborhood Services. Click here to report a violation.

Phone Number 414-286-2268.

I believe I have been damaged by the actions or negligence of the City or one of its employees and I have a claim for money damages. How do I do that?

Information abouth how to file a claim against the city.

(En español)

How do I file a restraining order?

Restraining orders, including Domestic abuse, are civil court orders that are processed in the Milwaukee County Circuit Court (901 N 9th St, Milwaukee, WI 53233). Information on how to file domestic abuse, including restraining orders, can be found, here!.  

Who do I talk to about delinquent property taxes?

Inquiries about delinquent property taxes can be made by contacting the Office of the City Treasure at http://www.milwaukee.gov/treasurer. All questions on delinquent tax accounts with an enforcement status of 5K or 6K need to be directed to the Kohn Law Firm, the City of Milwaukee's authorized collection agent, at 414-276-0435. In all other cases, you may call the Customer Services Division at 414-276-2240.

Where do I find more information about parking tickets and other citations?

Click here to find more information about parking citations and other citations.

How can I find a lawyer?

The City Attorney's office does not provide legal services to the general public.  The following are links to organizations and agencies that provide various types of legal information and advice:

Providing these links does not constitute recommendations or preferences to any organization providing legal services
What is the difference between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?

The City Attorney is the attorney for the City of Milwaukee. The City Attorney is elected to serve a four-year term, representing the City, its officials, departments, boards, commissions, the School Board, and other agencies. The City Attorney’s office also prosecutes violations of the Milwaukee Code of Ordinances, but not any violations of State law. The City Attorney's office acts as a full service law firm for the City, earning respect in the legal community as a professional, high quality law office.

The District Attorney is an elected official who investigates and prosecutes criminal activity (other than violations of the Milwaukee Code of Ordinances) throughout Milwaukee County.To find out more about the District Attorney's office, click here

 City Hall, 200 E. Wells Street, Room 800, Milwaukee, WI 53202 

 Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM



Please note: due to construction at our City Hall office, the Office of the City Attorney’s main office is currently located at:

 Frank P. Zeidler Municipal Building, 841 N Broadway, 7th Floor, Milwaukee, WI 53202 

 Ordinance Enforcement Division, 749 W State St, 7th Floor, Milwaukee, WI 53201 



This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System