• Refine Search

  • All Results

Milwaukee Police Department

Financial Crimes Unit

Identity Theft

If someone uses my credit card, is it considered Identity Theft? What should I do next?

No. If your card provider(s) refunds your account then you are not the victim of Identity Theft. But you should file a police report (for lost /stolen credit card) with the Milwaukee Police Department’s Telephone Reporting Unit (TRU) by calling (414) 933-4444. (Note: If a known person(s) has stolen your card you need to file your police report with the Milwaukee Police Department in person at a district station.) 

Someone stole my check(s), is it considered Identity Theft?

No. First determine where in the City of Milwaukee your check(s) were stolen then file a theft report with Milwaukee Police Department – Telephone Reporting Unit at telephone number (414) 933-4444 (for the theft of checks.) (Note: If you determine that your checks were lost or stolen in another city you should contact the local law enforcement department in that city.)

I believe that my Wisconsin Driver's License or ID Card was lost or stolen, what do I do?

Contact Wisconsin Department of Transportation at https://wisconsindot.gov/pages/dmv/license-drvs/lst-or-stoln/duplicate-id.aspx

I know the person(s) who stole my check(s), is it considered Identity Theft?

No. If the check(s) are stolen in the City of Milwaukee, you will need to file theft report in person at a Milwaukee Police Department – District Station.

What is identity theft?

Whoever intentionally uses, or attempts to use, any personal identifying information or personal identification document of an individual to obtain credit; money; goods; services or anything else of value, without the authorization or consent of the individual by representing that he or she is the individual, or is acting with the authorization or consent of the individual. This is covered under Wisconsin State Statue 943.201, Unauthorized use of and individual’s personal identifying information or documents.

Someone used my name to obtain credit, goods, or services, is it considered Identity Theft?

No. The use of your name alone (and no other personal identifying information) is not Identity Theft. The use of your name along with one of the following personal identifiers would show that you are the victim of identity theft: (1) Birthday, (2) Driver’s license number, (3) Social Security Number, (4) Identifying number of a depository account, (5) Employers Identification number, (6) your address, (7) your telephone number, or (8) your mother’s maiden name.

What if someone used my name and birth date to obtain services?

First you need to compose your letter of dispute and send the letter certified mail to the creditor or business in question. Second the creditor should respond in writing per the Fair Credit Reporting Act – Section 609(e). Upon receiving the documentation from the creditor you then can complete the Milwaukee Police Department - Identity Theft Informational Pamphlet that you can obtain online at:

Will be available soon

Once you have received the documentation, use these items to complete the MPD informational pamphlet. Make sure to complete the attached Affidavit including having it notarized prior to submitting it to a Milwaukee Police Department-District Station.

How do I compose a Letter of Dispute?

In order to dispute entries on your credit report(s) refer to sample letter at http://www.wdfi.org/wca/consumer_credit/credit_guides/letter_dispute.htm

For a second sample letter of dispute refer to http://www.wdfi.org/wca/consumer_credit/credit_guides/SampleDisputeLetter.htm

My parents placed utility bill(s) in my name without my permission or consent; I do not wish to prosecute, can I still file an Identity Theft Complaint?

Yes. But if you do not cooperate with prosecution of suspect(s), the utility company will still hold you accountable for the unpaid bill(s).

The creditor(s) refuse to comply with the Federal Consumer Protection Act 609(e) regarding my “Letter of Dispute.” What should I do?

Contact the Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection at http://www.ftc.gov/oig/index.shtml

My identity was used at a business, and the business is now requiring me to send a “Letter of Dispute” along with an “Affidavit.” What should I do next?

Compose a “Letter of Dispute” (Click here for Sample 1) (Click here for Sample 2) and complete the Affidavit (Click here for Affidavit) and have it notarized. The affidavit is a sworn statement, attesting that the signature appearing on the document in question is indeed a forgery.

Where can I obtain an Affidavit?

The Federal Trade Commission website at https://www.treasury.gov/about/organizational-structure/offices/Domestic-Finance/Documents/affidavit.pdf or Click here for PDF.

I live in Milwaukee and the cell phone provider(s) will not comply with the Federal Consumer Protection Act 609(e) regarding my “Letter of Dispute.” What should I do?

Contact the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection at https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_Services/ConsumerProtection.aspx

Someone used my credit card or checking account number(s) to make purchases online. What should I do?

File an online report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

The individual(s) used my credit card or checking account number to make purchases online in Canada. What should I do?

File an online report with the “Reporting Economic Crimes Online” (RECOL) at https://antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/ and also file a report with the Wisconsin Better Business Bureau at https://www.bbb.org/local-bbb/wisconsin.

How did the identity thief get my information?

Social Security numbers and other personal identifying information can be obtained from your place of employment, your doctor’s office, the mortgage company that processed your loan, and many other places. The places that you have grown comfortable with are the same places that are vulnerable to identity theft.

Someone is using my social security number for employment or filing taxes. What should I do?

File an online complaint with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at http://www.irs.gov/privacy/article/0,,id=186436,00.html

My social security card has been stolen. What should I do?

File a Theft of social security card report with a Milwaukee Police Department – District Station, and contact Social Security at http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

I have filed an Identity Theft report with the Milwaukee Police Department. What else can I do?

Effect January 1, 2007, if you live in Wisconsin you have a right to place a “security freeze” or "fraud alert" on your credit report. A freeze will prohibit a credit-reporting agency from releasing information in your credit report without your express authorization. http://privacy.wi.gov/securityfreeze/securityfreeze.jsp

Where can I get more information on Identity Theft?

Click here for an informational pamphlet on Idenity Theft (PDF).

I went to the Milwaukee Police Department - District Station to report an Identity Theft and was instructed to complete and return the Identity Theft Packet to the station. Where do I get the Identity Theft Packet?

Click here to download and print the Identity Theft Packet to complete by hand (PDF).


 Click here to complete the Identity Theft Packet on your computer and then print. 
(Due to signature requirements, the forms cannot be accepted electronically.)

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System