Birth Outcomes Made Better (BOMB) Doula Program
The Birth Outcomes Made Better (BOMB) Doula Program was created to support healthy pregnancies and nurture healthy babies in the City of Milwaukee. Through doula services families will have the support and education necessary for a healthy pregnancy and beyond. The program works with birthing people prenatally at any stage of pregnancy through birth and 12 weeks postpartum.
What is a Doula?
Doulas are trained professionals who provide non-clinical emotional, physical and informational support for birthing people, before, during and after labor and birth. During the prenatal period doulas share resources and information about the labor process, facilitate positive communication and self-advocacy. During labor and birth doulas provide hands-on comfort measures to assist with pain management. Doulas also provide post-partum support to help with transitions into parenting, breastfeeding, etc.
- Improve maternal and infant mortality rates for enrolled mothers
- Diversifying mothers’ options to pregnancy support through Doulas
- Increase breastfeeding education and initiation rates for mothers
- Connection to routine prenatal and post-partum cares and health benefits
- Support pathways to socioeconomic stability
- Support and educate partners/fathers alongside mothers during pregnancy
- Increase engagement with healthy behaviors (i.e. mental health, prenatal visits, exercise, smoking cessation, safe sleep practices, etc.).
- Reproductive Life and Birth Planning