Milwaukee Health Department Coronavirus COVID-19 updates. For assistance, please call the MHD COVID Hotline 414-286-6800

Weights and Measures

The Consumer Environmental Health Division protects consumers from fraudulent practices in the area of weights and measures by monitoring retail businesses for correctness of devices, product weights and scanner price accuracy.  Legal action is initiated as required to ensure compliance with city, state and federal regulations.

General Requirements

A City of Milwaukee Weighing and Measuring Device License is required if a scale, bar code scanner, petroleum meter, timing device, taxi meter or linear meter is used in a commercial transaction.

Business may make arrangements to apply for a Weighing and Measuring Device License by contacting the City Clerk's Office at (414) 286-2238 or online at

Produce Sales

Requirements for the method of sale of produce can be found at

Requirements for Weights and Measures Service Companies and Technicians

Businesses that "install, service, test or calibrate weights and measures" are required to be state licensed. In addition, state technician certification is required for individuals who test, calibrate, service, or seal a weighing and measuring device; remove an official rejection tag; or verify the correctness of a device. See the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection website for more information.

More Information

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System