- CONSTRUCTION UPDATES
- WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- YOUR FEEDBACK & COMMENTS
- CONTACT US
We aim to provide construction updates every two weeks throughout the duration of the project. Updates will be posted here and sent to those who have signed up through the project website. All work is weather dependent and subject to change.
Start Date: July 26, 2021
Anticipated Completion: Mid-November 2021
- Upon inspection of the structure after excavation, there are unexpected conditions requiring additional work. Girder repair work was finished this week. The removal and replacement of bearing pads, cross bracing adjustment and repairing the beam seat is set to begin the week of October 18th. Posted 10/8/21
Bridge deck removal and structural excavation on the west side of South Dana Court Bridge was completed last week. Currently, crews are working on girder repairs and cross bracing adjustments. The removal and replacement of bearing pads and beam seat repair will start next week. We anticipate form work for the new bridge deck to begin at the end of September. Posted 9/16/21
- Inspection and mitigation work has been completed. The bridge removal and structural excavation has resumed week and will continue into next week. A crew will then prep and coat the top flanges. Girder repairs and cross bracing adjustments are scheduled to take place throughout the week of September 13th. Posted 9/2/21
- The bridge deck removal and excavation on South Dana Court Bridge has been postponed due to unanticipated conditions of the structural material. Inspection and mitigation will take place over the next few weeks. Posted 8/20/21
- This week, a temporary pedestrian bypass over S. Dana Ct Bridge is being built, along with other traffic control measures installed. Next week, the contractor will remove the bridge deck on the west side. Structure excavation on the abutments, removal and replacement of bearings, and painting the top flange will follow during the week of August 16th. Posted 8/5/21
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works and State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation are planning a rehabilitation project on the South Dana Court Bridge, located between West Fairview Avenue and South Dana Court. Orignially constructed in 1926, South Dana Court Bridge is a three span steel girder bridge with reinforced concrete deck that was replaced back in 1977. The roadway is a dead-end, with a low volume traffic count.
The project will consist of reducing the width of the bridge, replacing the bridge deck and roadway approach, installing new bridge railings, sand blasting and painting pier columns and girders, and reconstructing the sidewalk and pedestrian ramps to meet current ADA requirements. In addition, we are planning to resurface the entire length of the roadway with asphalt and replace storm sewer inlets if necessary.
During construction, the project will be staged to maintain pedestrian and vehicular traffic on South Dana Court.
The bridge structure and limited portion of the roadway impacted by the construction of the bridge are funded 80% with Federal/State aid and 20% Local. Any additional work on the roadway will be 100% locally funded.
Assessments will go out to property owners near the end of the design stage. Assessments to owners will include sidewalk and driveway approach replacement in front of their property. Assessments will be calculated for sidewalk and driveway replacement, based on the City’s share of the final cost.
Final design plans
Exhibits at the 60% design phase can be viewed here
Preliminary design plan exhibits
Comment form - printable version
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
Start: July 26, 2021
Completion: Mid-November 2021
Stage 1: The west side of the bridge is closed for construction. The east side of the roadway will maintain pedestrian access and one lane of traffic. This permits motorists to travel in either direction, however, one vehicle at a time. We encourage bicyclists to walk their bike over the bridge as the one-lane roadway will be narrow.
Stage 2: The east side of the bridge is closed for construction. The west side of the roadway will maintain pedestrian access and one lane of traffic. This permits motorists to travel in either direction, however, one vehicle at a time. We encourage bicyclists to walk their bike over the bridge as the one-lane roadway will be narrow.
Access to adjacent properties will remain open.
On-street parking is available on West Fairview Avenue.
Work is allowed Monday - Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.