- CONSTRUCTION UPDATES
- WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- YOUR FEEDBACK & COMMENTS
- CONTACT US
We aim to provide construction updates every two weeks throughout the duration of the project. Updates will be posted here and sent to those who have signed up through the project website. All work is weather dependent and subject to change.
Start Date: July 26, 2021
New Anticipated Completion: June 15, 2022
- The resurfacing operation on South Dana Court was finished on June 9th and the road is fully open to traffic. Traffic control equipment will be removed on June 15th. Landscape work will be finished by the end of this week and minor work items will be addressed by the contractor. The South Dana Court Bridge rehabilitation project is complete! Posted 6/15/22
- Concrete curb, gutter and sidewalk on the west side of South Dana Court has been poured. The contractor will mill (remove) the existing pavement on South Dana Court on Wednesday, June 8th. Local access to adjacent properties will be maintained during the milling operation on Wednesday. On Thursday, June 9th, the road will be fully closed to all traffic starting at 7:00 am for asphalt resurfacing and will re-open once the paving operation is complete, which is anticipated after 4:00 pm. On-street parking will not be allowed. Landscape restoration and traffic control removal is planned for the week of June 13th. Posted 6/2/22
Starting May 18th, one lane of traffic will be maintained on the east side of South Dana Court. Motorists will be permitted to travel in either direction, however, one vehicle at a time. The contractor will begin to remove sidewalk, curb and gutter on the west side of South Dana Court. Posted 5/17/22
The overall project schedule has a new completion date of June 15, 2022. An extension has been approved to improve the underlying concrete base before we resurface the roadway with asphalt. Concrete pavement for the approach, curb and gutter, and sidewalk on the east side are planned to be completed today (May 6th). The contractor plans to begin roadway work on the west side (Stage 2) the week of May 16th. Posted 5/6/22
The painting operation on South Dana Court Bridge is anticipated to be complete this week. Electrical CUC manholes, and storm sewer manholes and inlets will be adjusted this week before the contractor pours concrete pavement for the approach, curb and gutter, and sidewalk on the east side. Once completed, crews will switch traffic control and begin pavement removal on the west side of South Dana Court. Posted 4/18/22
Starting the week of April 4th, traffic control on South Dana Court will be adjusted to allow only one lane of traffic, permitting motorists to travel in either direction, however, one vehicle at a time. On-street parking will not be allowed on Dana Court, south of the bridge, nor the bridge itself. The closure walls, abutments, concrete surface repairs and epoxy crack injection repair on the bridge have been completed. Underground utility work in the roadway will begin next week. Painting the bridge steel components is anticipated to begin the week of April 11th. Posted 4/1/22
The excavation and removal of the bridge structure began the week of February 28th. The contractor plans to form and pour concrete for the closure walls and abutments starting the week of March 14th, weather permitting. Concrete surface repairs have been ongoing. Epoxy injection crack repair work will follow along with painting the bridge steel components. Roadway work is tentatively scheduled for the end of March. Posted 3/11/22
- The contractor will re-mobilize to South Dana Court bridge during the week of February 14th. Crews will begin to remove the bridge deck and temporary pedestrian bypass on the east side of the street, which will continue into the first week of March. Posted 2/10/22
- While the project is shutdown for the winter season, miscellaneous utility and construction related work may take place on South Dana Court from now until spring, weather permitting. Project updates will tentatively resume in March when the next stage of construction begins with the bridge deck removal on the east side. Posted 1/7/22
- This week the contractor formed and poured concrete for the northwest and southwest closure walls and west parapet while electrical conduit was also being installed. Next week, crews will waterproof and dampproof the bridge abutments. In addition, the contractor plans to pour concrete for the curb and gutter and roadway approach on the west side. Following the Christmas holiday, crews will adjust the construction site for winter shutdown. Posted 12/17/21
- The concrete deck on the west side of Dana Court bridge is cured. This week, crews started to form the east bridge parapet and sidewalk, and will continue into next week with the west bridge parapet and closure walls formed and all poured with concrete. During the week of December 6th, the contractor will begin to remove the roadway pavement, sidewalk, curb and gutter. Along with excavation and grading for the roadway approaches, electrical conduit will be installed. Posted 12/3/21
- Access to South Dana Court, south of Fairview Avenue, will be temporarily closed on November 19th between 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Overall there will be limited access on South Dana Court as the concrete conveyor and trucks will be stationed between Hawley Road to Fairview Avenue. This closure is an estimated timeframe to allow the contractor to pour concrete for the bridge deck on the west side of South Dana Court. It will take about 7-10 days for the concrete to cure. The contractor will resume work on November 29th. Posted 11/18/21
- This week, the contractor is forming the bridge deck on the west side of South Dana Court. The installation of shear studs and rebar will follow into next week. We anticipate pouring concrete for the bridge deck during the week of November 22nd. Posted 11/11/21
- The additional work has been reviewed and approved by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, and work resumed last week with beam seat repairs. The contractor plans to start the removal and replacement of bearing pads and cross bracing adjustment this week. Due to previous challenges and additional work, the overall schedule has changed. Our focus is to finish the bridge before the winter season. The removal and replacement of sidewalk, pedestrian ramps and asphalt paving on South Dana Court will be scheduled in the spring of 2022. Posted 10/25/21
- Upon inspection of the structure after excavation, there are unexpected conditions requiring additional work. Girder repair work was finished this week. The removal and replacement of bearing pads, cross bracing adjustment and repairing the beam seat is set to begin the week of October 18th. Posted 10/8/21
Bridge deck removal and structural excavation on the west side of South Dana Court Bridge was completed last week. Currently, crews are working on girder repairs and cross bracing adjustments. The removal and replacement of bearing pads and beam seat repair will start next week. We anticipate form work for the new bridge deck to begin at the end of September. Posted 9/16/21
- Inspection and mitigation work has been completed. The bridge removal and structural excavation has resumed week and will continue into next week. A crew will then prep and coat the top flanges. Girder repairs and cross bracing adjustments are scheduled to take place throughout the week of September 13th. Posted 9/2/21
- The bridge deck removal and excavation on South Dana Court Bridge has been postponed due to unanticipated conditions of the structural material. Inspection and mitigation will take place over the next few weeks. Posted 8/20/21
- This week, a temporary pedestrian bypass over S. Dana Ct Bridge is being built, along with other traffic control measures installed. Next week, the contractor will remove the bridge deck on the west side. Structure excavation on the abutments, removal and replacement of bearings, and painting the top flange will follow during the week of August 16th. Posted 8/5/21
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works and State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation are planning a rehabilitation project on the South Dana Court Bridge, located between West Fairview Avenue and South Dana Court. Orignially constructed in 1926, South Dana Court Bridge is a three span steel girder bridge with reinforced concrete deck that was replaced back in 1977. The roadway is a dead-end, with a low volume traffic count.
The project will consist of reducing the width of the bridge, replacing the bridge deck and roadway approach, installing new bridge railings, sand blasting and painting pier columns and girders, and reconstructing the sidewalk and pedestrian ramps to meet current ADA requirements. In addition, we are planning to resurface the entire length of the roadway with asphalt and replace storm sewer inlets if necessary.
During construction, the project will be staged to maintain pedestrian and vehicular traffic on South Dana Court.
The bridge structure and limited portion of the roadway impacted by the construction of the bridge are funded 80% with Federal/State aid and 20% Local. Any additional work on the roadway will be 100% locally funded.
Assessments will go out to property owners near the end of the design stage. Assessments to owners will include sidewalk and driveway approach replacement in front of their property. Assessments will be calculated for sidewalk and driveway replacement, based on the City’s share of the final cost.
Final design plans
Exhibits at the 60% design phase can be viewed here
Preliminary design plan exhibits
Comment form - printable version
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
Start: July 26, 2021
New Anticipated Completion: June 15, 2022
Stage 1: The west side of the bridge is closed for construction. The east side of the roadway will maintain pedestrian access and one lane of traffic. This permits motorists to travel in either direction, however, one vehicle at a time. We encourage bicyclists to walk their bike over the bridge as the one-lane roadway will be narrow.
Stage 2: The east side of the bridge is closed for construction. The west side of the roadway will maintain pedestrian access and one lane of traffic. This permits motorists to travel in either direction, however, one vehicle at a time. We encourage bicyclists to walk their bike over the bridge as the one-lane roadway will be narrow.
Access to adjacent properties will remain open.
On-street parking is available on West Fairview Avenue.
Work is allowed Monday - Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.