Breast and Cervical Cancer
Well Woman Program
The Well Woman Program (WWP) provides preventive health screening services to low-income women who are uninsured or underinsured. Well Woman pays for mammograms, Pap tests, and multiple sclerosis testing. The program is administered by the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services, Division of Public Health, and is available in all 72 Wisconsin Counties and 11 tribes, including the City of Milwaukee Health Department. Well Woman works to decrease the mortality rate of breast and cervical cancer in all women in the city of Milwaukee through education, outreach, screening, treatment, community awareness and involvement.
What services does Well Woman Provide?
- Clinical Breast Exams (CBE)
- Breast Cancer Treatment Referral
- Breast Self-Exam Instruction
- Pap Tests
- Assessments for Multiple Sclerosis
Who is eligible for Well Woman Program?
- Enrollment is limited to women ages 45 to 64 (see below exceptions)
- Income must be within the program's guideline limits
- Clients do not have health insurance, or the insurance they do have does not cover routine check-ups and screening, or clients are simply unable to pay high deductibles or co-payments.
- Women ages 35-44 who are enrolled in the Family Planning Waiver Program (FPWP) with an abnormal CBE.
- Women ages 35-44 who contact a local coordinating agency reporting any one of the following:
- Breast Lump (or palpable mass)
- Bloody or serious nipple discharge
- Breast skin changes (dimpling, retraction, redness) or nipple/areolar scaliness.
- Enrollment by local coordinating agency only (see below).
- Written referral by the FPWP provider or the other referring provider.
How do I apply?
- Enroll through a county or tribal Well Woman coordinating agency.
- Simple enrollment form; requires proof of age, income and insurance status.
For the Suburban Milwaukee County Local Coordinator please call 262-636-9292. For the City of Milwaukee Local Coordinator please call the City of Milwaukee MBCCAP office directly at 414-286-2133. Outside of Milwaukee contact your local Well Woman Program coordinating agency Well Woman Program at 1-608-266-8311.