Landlord Training Program
The award-winning Landlord Training Program operates out of the Department of Neighborhood Services (DNS) downtown location. Its goal is to teach landlords fundamental ways to keep illegal activity out of their property, and how to manage it if/when nuisance activity does appear. Considerable focus is also applied to operating according to the codes, laws and government directives that apply to rental properties as well as tried-and-true practices aimed at minimizing conflict and damage in area neighborhoods. This program was a runner-up for the Ford Foundation Harvard Kennedy School of Government Awards program, and a 1996 winner of the Innovations In Government award sponsored by the City of Milwaukee Mayor and Common Council. The classes are FREE, and held on a regular basis throughout the year at various locations to include local libraries. They are also held on evenings and weekends to accommodate virtually anyone's schedule. The classes are generally either one (1) five-hour session in one day, or two (2) 2.5-hour sessions over two evenings. Attendees get a free 100-page comprehensive manual, and handouts on a variety of legal and business issues related to managing property. Each class also includes professional guest speakers ranging from Court Commissioners and City Attorneys to towing companies and pest control.
To Register for an Upcoming Landlord Training Class:
*Please note: There has been a surge in interest in these online classes, and they are smaller than the open-air ones of the past; we are doing what we can to provide more classes, but there are limits. Carefully following directions in registering, and checking this page for updates will aid in securing a spot in a class. (taking notes in the virtual class is a good idea)
1) Please INCLUDE ALL of the following information: name, complete address + CITY, STATE & ZIP, email address, telephone number, and the date(s) of the class you prefer for EVERY person interested, and please email to the address below: (* Failure to include all this information will not secure your spot in the class)
2) Email to: LLTP@milwaukee.gov or Leave a voicemail at (414) 286-2954, and include ALL the information asked-for above.
COVID-19 RESOURCES for Residential and Commercial Properties:
- President Biden's (New) Eviction Moratorium Extension, and other programs
- COVID-19 Declaration Form (A must for moratorium protection)
- State of Wisconsin Landlord-Tenant
- COVID-19 FAQ's
- COVID-19 Consumer Protection (Eviction Moratorium, Restrictions on Late Fees, etc.)
- HUD Resources: Eviction Bans, CARES Act, etc.
- Milwaukee Health Department: What You Need to Know