The City of Milwaukee and Summit Credit Union are pleased to offer low-interest loans to help Milwaukee homeowners add solar to your homes.
Summit Credit Union and the City of Milwaukee are offering up to $2 million in low-interest solar loans to help Milwaukee homeowners finance your solar energy systems costs.
- Eligible Participants: City of Milwaukee homeowners of 1-3 unit, owner-occupied residences
- Loan Size: Up to $20,000
- Interest Rate: Low-interest, fixed rate (as low as prime + 1.50%); check today's rates.
- Terms: Up to 15 years to repay. No penalties for early payment, no fees, no down payments
- Eligible Projects: Solar electric systems (up to 6 kW), solar hot water systems (1-8 panels) or solar hot air.
- Must be installed by a Focus on Energy Residential Ally solar installer
- Eligible Expenses: All equipment, labor, permits, and interconnection fees. Solar loans can also be used for structural reinforcement and re-roofing expenses if these upgrades are part of the solar project.
- Select a solar installer. It is recommended that you get at least two bids. Your solar installer must be a Focus on Energy Residential Ally.
- Apply for your solar loan at Summit Credit Union. Get started!
- Fill out the Summit Solar Loan Application (include info from your installer's bid).
Download the form HERE.
- After your loan has been preapproved, schedule and install your solar project.
- Once your project has been completed, fill out the Solar Loan Completion Certificate.
Download the certificate HERE.
- Contact Summit Credit Union to close on your loan. Summit will issue a check directly to your installer.
APPLY NOW for your Milwaukee Shines Solar Loan!
The City of Milwaukee’s Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) funding helps commercial property owners affordably finance energy efficiency, water efficiency, and renewable energy upgrades (including solar!) in their buildings. This public-private partnership leverages private capital to supply upfront funding for the improvements and collects payments through a voluntary municipal special charge (City Ordinance 304-26.5). The special charge is attached to the property, not the owner, and is paid back through the property tax system over time. Projects are designed so that the annual energy and other savings pay for the special charge, providing a net positive cash flow.
- Provides private capital to fund your project
- Financing availability based on property value, not owner credit
- Repayment obligation stays with property if sold or transferred
- Longer term financing (up to 20 years)
- 100% project financing up to 30% of property value (can be appraised value at completion)
- Potential to pass on project costs to tenants
- Potential to count investment as an operating expense
- Improved property value
- Improved net operating income
- Improved occupant comfort
- Replaces outdated equipment with modern, energy-efficient equipment
- Allows marketing of "green" features of your property
- Located in the City of Milwaukee
- Commercial property (all non-residential properties, multi-family buildings with 5+ units, industrial, retail, and office space)
- No property tax delinquencies for three years
- Free of title disputes
- Clear of involuntary liens or judgments
Visit the City's PACE website for more information and next steps!