Cart Care and Replacement Policies
Carts are City of Milwaukee property. The following suggestions will help the cart have a long service life:
Preparing the Cart
- Write the address on the cart to help keep track of it, especially in tight alleys.
- Bag garbage before placing in the garbage cart. This helps deter wildlife and prevents litter in the neighborhood.
- Recyclables must not be bagged. Deter wildlife by rinsing food and beverage debris from recyclables.
Cleaning the Cart
- To clean the cart, pour dish soap in the bottom and fill with several gallons of water. Swish around the water to remove the majority of debris. Dry in the sun.
- To deodorize a cart after cleaning, use a mild bleach-water solution in a spray bottle. Lightly spray the inside of the cart and let it air dry.
Treating a Damaged Cart
- If wildlife puts a small hole in the cart, fill a sock with moth balls, tie it to the cart's handle, and feed it into the cart to deter animals from coming back.
- If a cart repair or replacement is needed, City crews will leave a tag on your cart with instructions on how to request this service. To limit the public investment in new cart inventory, a cart that is still serviceable will not be replaced. Rodent hole damage does not qualify for replacement. If you were instructed to request a new cart, call 414-286-CITY or use the online service request form.