• Refine Search

  • All Results

How to Find a Property Survey

The City of Milwaukee may have a survey of your property depending on the type of documents that where “saved” for your construction project.

The first place to check would be the County of Milwaukee Plat of Survey Search

Property Information section at the Milwaukee Development Center. They maintain permit records and often a copy of the survey will be found in those records. You can contact them at (414) 286-8207 to ask if there is a copy of a survey for your property on file. You will need to provide the address of the property. Staff will check the permit records and if a survey copy is available, they will mail it to you. Location and service fees may apply. Please know that not all property records will include a survey!

The second place to look is in City Records located at 841 N. Broadway in the basement of the Zeidler municipal building. Their number is (414) 286-3393 and you should call first to see if they have a survey.

Finally, the Department of Public Works Maps and Plats does NOT have surveys. However,  they do have plats that indicate street curb information, fire hydrant locations, etc. off of which surveyors make their property line references.  Maps and Plats number is (414) 286-2411 and you can call first to verify hours of operation.  NOTE: Maps and Plats are NOT LEGAL documents like a certified professional survey which is used to settle property line matters.

Failing these searches, they only recourse is to pay a professional to do a survey. DNS and City agencies do NOT do surveys. A listing of surveyors can be found online or in the local yellow pages.

City of Milwaukee Department of Administration Director Sharon Robinson

 M, T, Th, F: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

 W: No appointments, but open 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM for drop off, pick up and payment 

 Plan Exam & Permits, 809 N. Broadway, 1st Floor, Milwaukee, WI 53202


Email: [email protected]


This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System