How to request a building inspection
This page is to help you obtain building inspections by DNS on permitted work. We want to provide timely inspections for your building project. These steps should insure you the best service we can provide.
To allow us to schedule our time more efficiently, inspectors establish their own schedules in order to minimize travel time from one site to another. The clerical staff cannot set appointment times, but can give general information. Inspectors are generally available by phone from 7:30 A.M. to 9:00 A.M. and 3:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.
A. To request an inspection, call your inspector directly. If you do not know who your inspector is, call the Construction Section at 286-2513.
- Footings and foundation inspections are usually done that day
- Final inspections are typically done in 48 hours or less
- Stay in contact with the inspector if some time-critical inspection is due
B. You (or your agent) need not be present for the inspection so long as:
- The area is accessible (i.e., no locked gates, mean dogs etc.)
- The area is not occupied (i.e., backyard or new house construction with no personal property present)
- The permit and approved plans are on site and available to the inspector
- You have spoken with your inspector and secured his understanding of the circumstance
C. You need to be present if an inspection is required inside your occupied building:
- You may authorize a friend or neighbor to escort the inspector
- Please make arrangements with your inspector in advance