Reports submitted through the Fraud Hotline are directly received by or routed to designated Hotline staff within the Internal Audit division of the Comptroller's Office.
The report is assigned a case number and logged in the case tracking system.
- Hotline staff review the report and take appropriate action:
- Investigate and perform due diligence, and if necessary,
- Refer to another city department or outside agency for further investigation and resolution.
- Cases remain open until resolved.
- If applicable, the complainant is notified of the status of the investigation. Please note that due to the sensitive nature of hotline reports, details of the investigation will not be disclosed.
- Internal Audit publishes an annual hotline activity report.
For non-fraud and non-city related complaints, the Fraud Hotline staff will make every effort to assist the complainant in locating the appropriate city department or outside agency. See Additional Resources.