CITY OF MILWAUKEE ELECTION COMMISSION
HOW TO REGISTER TO VOTE
Wisconsin law requires every qualified voter to complete or maintain a current voter registration before voting in an election. Therefore, you must complete a voter registration application if you are a new Wisconsin voter or your name and/or residential address has changed since you last registered to vote.
If you are uncertain of your voter registration name, address or status, you can go to My Vote Wisconsin and select option one.
The City of Milwaukee provides four opportunities for completing and updating your voter registration: by mail, at any Milwaukee Public Library, at City Hall and at your voting site on Election Day.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION on the CLOSE OF REGISTRATION:
Registration by mail and at Milwaukee Public Libraries ends 20 days prior to each election (or the third Wednesday before each election). This is referred to as the “close of registration” date. You may still register to vote at City Hall during the 20 days before an election, or at your voting site on Election Day.
1. BY MAIL
Download and print the Voter Registration Application. Once complete, you may mail the application along with acceptable proof of residence, if applicable, to:
City of Milwaukee Election Commission
200 East Wells, Room 501
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Registrations by mail must be postmarked prior to the close of registration date for each election.
NOTE FOR NEW WISCONSIN VOTERS: If you are a new Wisconsin voter (you have never previously registered to vote in the State of Wisconsin), you must include a photocopy of a proof of residence document, as listed below, with your application. If you do not include a copy, you will be required to show a proof of residence document before you can be issued a ballot to vote in an election. (This requirement does NOT apply to any person that previously registered to vote in the State of Wisconsin, but is completing a new registration application due to a change of address or name change.)
2. REGISTER IN PERSON AT ANY MILWAUKEE PUBLIC LIBRARY
All Milwaukee Public Libraries have voter registration applications and registrars to assist you with completing the voter registration process during regular hours of operation. You may view a list of Milwaukee Public Library sites by clicking this link: www.mpl.org.
3. REGISTER IN PERSON AT THE ELECTION COMMISSION
You may register to vote at the office of the Election Commission, Room 501, City Hall, 200 East Wells. Office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
Any person registering to vote within the 20 days preceding an election (or after the close of registration) must provide an acceptable proof of residence document as listed below.
4. REGISTER AT YOUR VOTING SITE ON ELECTION DAY
You may register and vote at your voting site on any Election Day. To determine your voting site, click http://itmdapps.ci.mil.wi.us/electedreps/electrep.jsp and enter your voter registration address.
Any person registering to vote and voting on Election Day must have lived at their current address for at least 28 days before the election with no present intent to move and must provide an acceptable proof of residence document from the list below.
ACCEPTABLE PROOF OF RESIDENCE DOCUMENTS:
A proof of residence is a document used during the voter registration process to verify your name and address. Any document used as a proof of residence MUST include:
- Your current and complete name
- Your current and complete residential address
- An account, document or identification number
AND must be from one of the following proof of residence document types:
- A current and valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
- A current and valid Wisconsin identification card.
- Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
- Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card.
- A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
- An identification card issued by a university, college, or technical college in this state that contains a photograph of the cardholder, together with a fee payment receipt issued to the cardholder by the university, college, or technical college dated no earlier than nine (9) months before the date of the election at which the receipt is presented.
- An identification card issued by a university, college, or technical college in this state that contains a photograph of the cardholder if the university, college, or technical college that issued the card provides a certified and current list of students who reside in housing sponsored by the university, college, or technical college and who are U.S. citizens to the municipal clerk, prior to the election showing the current address of the students and if the municipal clerk, special registration deputy, or inspector verifies that the student presenting the card is included on the list.
- A gas, electric or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before Election Day.
- Bank statement.
- A check or other document issued by a unit of government.
- A residential lease which is effective for a period that includes Election Day (cannot be used as by first-time WI voters registering by mail).