NOTICE: Voters may register at the Election Commission, Room 501 of City Hall, or at In-Person Absentee Voting until Friday, November 4th at 5pm. Voters may also register to vote at their new polling place on Election Day.
How to Register to Vote
Wisconsin law requires every qualified voter to maintain a current voter registration before voting in an election. Therefore, you must complete a voter registration application if you are a new Wisconsin voter, your name and/or residential address has changed since you last registered to vote, or if you have not voted in the past four (4) years.
If you are uncertain of your voter registration name, address or status, you can go to My Vote Wisconsin
and select "Regular Voter" to look up your voter record.
IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING PROOF OF RESIDENCY:
As of April 4, 2014, Act 182 requires that all voters provide a document establishing their proof of residence as part of the voter registration application. This requirement applies to ALL electors who are not military or permanent overseas voters. More information on what constitutes valid proof of residency can be found below.
The City of Milwaukee provides four (4) opportunities for completing and updating your voter registration: by mail, at any Milwaukee Public Library, at City Hall or at your voting site on Election Day.
Please Note: Close of Registration
Registration by mail and at Milwaukee Public Libraries ends 20 days prior to each election (or the third Wednesday before each election). This is referred to as the “close of registration” date. You may still register to vote at City Hall during the 20 days before an election or at your voting site on Election Day.
1. BY MAIL
Download and print the Voter Registration Application
. Once complete, you may mail the application along with a copy of your proof of residence document to:
City of Milwaukee Election Commission
200 East Wells, Room 501
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Registrations by mail must be postmarked prior to the close of registration date for each election.
2. REGISTER IN PERSON AT ANY MILWAUKEE PUBLIC LIBRARY
All Milwaukee Public Libraries have voter registration applications and registrars to assist you with completing the voter registration process during regular hours of operation. You may view a list of Milwaukee Public Library sites by clicking this link: www.mpl.org
3. REGISTER IN PERSON AT THE ELECTION COMMISSION
You may register to vote at the office of the Election Commission, Room 501, City Hall, 200 East Wells. Office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
4. REGISTER AT YOUR VOTING SITE ON ELECTION DAY
You may register and vote at your voting site on any Election Day. Click here
to determine your voting site by entering your voter registration address.
Any person registering to vote and voting on Election Day must have lived at their current address for at least 10 days before the election with no present intent to move and must provide an acceptable proof of residence document from the list below.
ACCEPTABLE PROOF OF RESIDENCE DOCUMENTS:
2013 Wisconsin Act 182 went into effect on April 4, 2014. Act 182 requires that ALL voters provide a document establishing their proof of residence as part of the voter registration application. The requirement applies to all electors who are not military or permanent absentee voters. Any document used as a proof of residence MUST include:
- Your current and complete name
- Your current and complete residential address
- A visible account or document number (if applicable)
AND must be from one of the following proof of residence document types:
- A current and valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
- A current and valid Wisconsin identification card.
- Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
- Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card.
- A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
- A gas, electric or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before Election Day.
- Bank statement.
- A check or other document or official correspondence issued by a unit of government (this includes official mail from a public high school or state college or university, such as MPS or UW-Milwaukee).
- A university, college, or technical college identification card (must include photo) ONLY if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list to the municipal clerk.
- A residential lease which is effective for a period that includes Election Day (cannot be used when registering by mail)
**Please note: you are able to redact (black out) private information such as account balances or transactions on your proof of residence document. However, the last four (4) digits of your account number (if applicable), name and address must remain visible.