Fall Leaf Collection Schedule
City of Milwaukee residents may rake leaves into the street from October 1 through November 22 for pickup by Department of Public Works Sanitation crews. After November 22, leaves can be taken to one of the City's Self-Help Centers. City crews will wrap up leaf collection efforts on December 9.
Residents are asked to rake their leaves into the curb lanes for collection. After November 22, Sanitation crews will still pick up remaining leaf piles as long as weather permits through December 9. If you still have leaves not yet raked into the road, you must bag them and take them to a Self-Help Center for disposal.
For more information, call (414) 286-CITY (2489). You can always make other special pickup requests online, at any time of day, using DPW's online service request.
Sanitation Services offers these tips for successful leaf collections:
- Do not put leaves in plastic bags - empty them into the curb lane. Leaves are composted but plastic bags do not decompose
- Put Halloween pumpkins in your garbage cart or on a compost pile, not on leaf piles in the street
- Please keep debris, such as flowers and vegetable plants, on top of your leaf piles at the curb
- Do not put brush in the leaf piles. Call (414) 286-CITY (2489) for a special brush pickup or fill out an online service request. Brush can also be taken to one of the City's Self-Help Centers.
- Keep piles away from sewer grates
- Keep debris away from storm drains in the street
- Large amounts of branches should be piled away from overhanging trees
Off-Season Leaf Removal
In the off season, leaves may be taken to a Self-Help Center location. Please refer to our Self-Help Centers for locations and hours of operations. Brush can also be taken to one of the City's Self-Help Centers.
Recycle Leaves and Grass
Mulch leaves with your lawnmower and leave them on the grass or compost them. Grass clippings left on the lawn will nourish the soil, too.