Fall Leaf Collection
City of Milwaukee residents may rake leaves into the street from October 1 through November 20. After November 20, Sanitation crews will still pick up remaining leaf piles as long as weather permits. All other times leaves can be taken to one of the City's Drop-Off Centers. Leaves collected are composted to make a rich soil amendment.
Residents should rake their leaves into the curb lanes for collection. Sanitation Services offers these tips for successful leaf collections:
- Do not put leaves in plastic bags - empty them into the curb lane. Leaves are composted but plastic bags do not decompose
- Do not put brush in the leaf piles. Keep these items separate between the curb and sidewalk. Call 286-CITY or request a brush collection online.
- Keep piles 1' into the street, away from the curb. This helps ensure the equipment can collect all of the leaves and protects the equipment from being damaged.
- Keep piles away from sewer grates, storm drains, and low hanging trees.
- Include yard debris such as flowers and plants on top of leaf piles
- Do not include pumpkins, plastic bags, or any other items.
- Consider mulching leaves in place as an alternative way to handle leaves on your property.
Look up your leaf collection schedule.