Summer Cool Spots
The Milwaukee Water Works, Milwaukee Public Schools and Milwaukee County Parks are promoting supervised places to play in cool water on very hot days this summer. Cool Spots, water parks and splash pads are offered as an alternative to opening fire hydrants, which is illegal. Previous public outreach resulted in a drop from 745 illegal openings one summer to only 11 last year.
When hydrants are opened improperly, the water rushes out uncontrolled, causing water pressure to drop in the area. Firefighters might not have enough water and pressure to put out a fire. The sudden pressure change can cause mains to break. Only a fire department, the Milwaukee Water Works and construction projects with a public works permit may open hydrants. The Milwaukee Water Works has installed over 3,000 hydrant-locking McGard devices in areas with high repeat hydrant openings.
Improperly opened hydrants waste millions of gallons of treated water. Smashing hydrants to allow water to rush out breaks it - the cost to repair or replace is over $2,000. The penalty for tampering with a hydrant is a $1,000 fine or 30 days in jail.
Report illegal hydrant opening by calling the Milwaukee Water Works Control Center at (414) 286-3710.
- The Milwaukee Water Works provides water from a nearby hydrant to a giant sprinkler at MPS supervised playgrounds for students ages 6-17.
- Cool Spots are open only during citywide heat advisories, Monday-Friday, 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Available June 18 - August 10
- Ben Franklin School, 2308 W. Nash
- Carmen Playfield, 7320 W. Carmen
- Columbia Playfield, 1354 W. Columbia
- Franklin Square, 2643 N. 13th
- Green Bay, 3818 N. 8th
MPS Recreation Wading Pools are open June 18-August 25, Monday-Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
All MPS sites will be closed Wednesday, July 4th for the Independence Day holiday.
- Burbank, 6035 W. Adler
- Burnham, 1755 S. 32nd
- Enderis, 2938 N. 72nd
- Holt, 1716 W. Holt
- Merrill Park, 461 N. 35th
- Modrzejewski, 1020 W. Cleveland
- Ohio, 974 W. Holt
Milwaukee County Water-based Recreation
Family Water Parks
- Cool Waters in Greenfield Park, 2028 S. 124th St., West Allis, WI 53227
- David F. Schulz Aquatic Center in Lincoln Park, 1301 W. Hampton Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53209
- Pelican Cove in Kosciuszko Park
- Tosa Pool at Hoyt Park (managed by Friends of Hoyt Park and Pool)
- Wading pools and splash pads
- Outdoor pools
- Community center pools
- Boating and McKinley Marina
- Canoeing and kayaking
- Swimming lessons
Here’s a map of Milwaukee County summer cool spots
Guide to MPS summer activities
Cooling Centers such as air-conditioned libraries, senior centers, City of Milwaukee Housing Authority sites, etc., are available during extreme heat. Check with the City of Milwaukee Health Department for locations.