Bookmark and Share

Information about the South Hawley Road Main Break

About the main break

Findings and investigation into the cause

The Milwaukee Water Works has recovered the damaged and undamaged pipe from the excavation for materials testing. Results will be posted here.

Did you have property damage? 

Here are instructions for filing a claim with the City of Milwaukee. Call or email the Milwaukee Water Works Claims Specialist at (414) 286-2928

  • The claimant must comply with Section 893.80(1), Wis. Stats., which requires the claimant, or his/her agent or attorney to submit a signed document to the City Clerk’s Office within 120 days from the date of the event describing the circumstances of the claim. 
  • The document should include the date, time, and location of the incident. 
  • The document should include your address, daytime phone number, and e-mail address, if any, along with a statement of the relief sought. If monetary damages are sought, a specific sum must be stated. 
  • Proof of the amount of the claim by means of itemized receipts or two (2) itemized estimates. 
  • Submit all information to:
    City Clerk
    Attn: CLAIMS
    200 East Wells Street, Room 205
    Milwaukee, WI 53202-3567

Filing a claim against the City does not automatically guarantee reimbursement from the City. Each claim is examined on an individual basis to determine if reimbursement is legally required. Only the City Attorney or the Common Council and Mayor can authorize payment of a claim against the City. Any other representations made by City employees are not legally binding on the City. 

If you would like to receive notices when updated information is posted on this webpage, please send an email to

Loans for emergency and essential home repairs

Need some extra help?