Milwaukee Health Department Coronavirus COVID-19 updates. For assistance, please call the MHD COVID Hotline 414-286-6800

Common Questions about Court

Can I reopen my case?

You can make a request to reopen your case for up to 6 months after your judgment date and the judge will decide whether to grant your request.  To make a request, you can appear as a walk-in by checking in for court Monday - Friday between 8:00 am - 11:00 am or 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm (3:00 pm on Fridays).  Please be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes before the check-in deadline to ensure you are scheduled for that court session.  

Can you tell me what date and time I am supposed to be in court?

Your next court date and time is available on the Court's website at

How much do I owe on my cases?

You can find the current balance due on your cases and make payments (with no additional convenience or service fee) at

Can a relative appear in court on my behalf?

In general, a relative may only appear if they have your power of attorney.  If a relative without your power of attorney appears, the judge may inform the relative that you, as the defendant, are required to appear in court.  You may have an attorney represent you in court.  If a relative will be representing you as your attorney, the relative will need to have your power of attorney.

I have a court date today but I can't make it. Can I reschedule?

No.  You must reschedule your court date in advance so that the request is received by the Court at least five (5) business days (or ten (10) business days if it is a trial) before the scheduled court date.  You may submit your request online (at, in writing (via FAX, email or U.S. mail) or in person.  If your request is not received at least five (5) business days in advance (or ten (10) business days if it is a trial) and you do not appear in court as scheduled, the judge may enter a default judgment against you.  You may make a request to reopen the case, which can be done by appearing on a walk-in basis.

I missed my court date -- how do I reschedule it?

You can not reschedule a missed court date.  You may, however, appear as a walk-in to make a motion to reopen the case.

I have an outstanding warrant in Milwaukee Municipal Court.  Will I be arrested if I appear for court?

You will not be arrested if you make arrangements with the judge to satisfy your cases.  To do this, you may need to make a full or partial payment or get an extension on the payment due date. For more information regarding outstanding warrants please vist our Warrants page.

Do I have to pay what I owe all at once?

No.  The Court offers payment (installment) plans that will allow you  to pay what you owe in smaller increments until the total balance is paid in full.  When being set up on an installment plan, you must provide information about your financial resources and the amount you are able to pay each month.  Upon approval of your application, you will receive installment coupons and instructions as to how to make your monthly payments.

My driver's license is suspended.  How do I get it back?

If your driver's license is suspended for failure to pay a judgment at the Milwaukee Municipal Court, you may be able to make payment arrangements in order to have the license suspensions lifted.  The Court requires a payment of 30% of the balance due on the case before granting you an additional time to pay the rest.  You may also make a motion to reopen your case in order to vacate the judgment and / or the license suspension.  If your motion is granted, a $20 fee will be required to reopen the case. For more information regarding driver license suspensions please visit our Driver License Suspension page.

I need more time to pay my fine.  What should I do?

If your due date has not yet passed, you may request more time to pay.  You can receive an initial extension without having to appear in court or having to make any payment.  If you need to make another request, you will then need to make a minimum payment of $20 or see the judge.  If your due date has already passed, you will need to see the judge.  In general, the Court requires a payment of 30% of the balance due on the case before granting any additional time to pay the rest.

What is the minimum payment I have to make in order to have my due date extended?

You can be granted an initial extension without having to make a payment.  Subsequent extensions will require a minimum payment of $20 on the case.

City of Milwaukee Municipal Court 

Contact Us




View map

 951 N. James Lovell St.
Milwaukee, WI  53233

 Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:45pm

Milwaukee Municipal Intake Court

located in the:
Milwaukee County Criminal Justice Facility
 949 N. 9th St.
Milwaukee, WI  53233

Certain hearings are scheduled in this location. Please check your notice to determine whether your hearing will be conducted here.

View map

 Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:45pm

Walk-In Hours:

Unscheduled (walk-in) appearances are suspended until further notice. If you did not pre-register and the session is full, you will need to call (414) 286-6600.

Cashier Window Hours:
 Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 4:30pm

Payment Line Hours:
 Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System