NORTH PLANKINTON AVE BRIDGE AND ROADWAY PROJECT
- North Plankinton Avenue Bridge project is near completion! The final pavement markings from North Plankinton Avenue Bridge to West Seeboth Street will be done on Friday, September 25th, weather permitting. Once completed, majority of the traffic control will be removed. There is minor electrical work scheduled during the week of September 28th that may require traffic control. (Added 9/24/20)
- North Plankinton Avenue Bascule Bridge over the Menomonee River will be closed to all vehicle and pedestrian traffic on Tuesday, August 25th, weather permitting. We anticipate the bridge to re-open Wednesday, August 26th by the evening. This closure will allow the contractor to install the compression seal joints. The project schedule over the next few weeks include the centerlock replacement and corresponding electrical work, installation of fiberglass sidewalk plates and touch up painting. Landscaping and pavement markings for the roadway project have been completed. (Added 8/20/20)
The asphalt work near the railroad tracks on North Plankinton Avenue is scheduled for Friday, July 31st, weather permitting. The road will be closed to thru traffic starting at 6:30 a.m. and will re-open mid-afternoon. Landscaping and pavement markings for the roadway project will be completed by mid-August. (Added 7/29/20)
North Plankinton Avenue and the bridge is open to thru traffic. Remaining roadway work includes paving a section of the road near the railroad tracks with asphalt. This work will require a one-day road closure. In regards to the bridge rehabilitation project’s schedule, crews will be installing the fiberglass sidewalk plates, completing structural steel repairs, touch up painting, and will begin to install the center lock on the west side over the next few weeks. (Added 7/22/20)
- The painting operation on the north leaf of the North Plankinton Ave bridge is anticipated to be complete by July 3rd. The bridge will remain closed to traffic as roadway work on North Plankinton Avenue continues into early July. One half of the Menomonee River navigation channel remains open for boat access. (Added 6/26/20)
- The painting operation on the south leaf of the N. Plankinton Ave bridge is nearly complete. The construction schedule has been adjusted to allow the painting crew to remain on-site and immediately begin working on the north leaf. One half of the Menomonee River navigation channel will remain open for boat access. The bridge will re-open to pedestrian and vehicular traffic by July 3rd. Roadway work is anticipated to be complete by June 26th. All work is weather dependent and subject to change. (Added 6/11/20)
- Starting Thursday, May 21st, North Plankinton Avenue Bascule Bridge over the Menomonee River will be closed to all vehicle and pedestrian traffic for 14 days, weather permitting. This closure will allow the contractor to sandblast and paint the south leaf as part of the bridge rehabilitation project. One half of the Menomonee River navigation channel will remain open for boat access. In regards to the reconstruction project on North Plankinton Avenue, the east half of the roadway from W. St. Paul Ave to the railroad tracks is near completion. Remaining work includes a portion of concrete pavement, asphalt shim, and building the right turn lane configuration at W. St. Paul Ave. We anticipate pouring the concrete pavement, curb and gutter on the west half of the road by June 1st. All work is weather dependent and subject to change. (Added 5/18/20)
The Department of Public Works will conduct a rehabilitation project on North Plankinton Avenue Bascule Bridge over the Menomonee River. Work consists of replacing mechanical components, including the center lock actuators, painting the existing bridge and installing new sidewalk plates.
In conjunction with this project, we will reconstruct North Plankinton Avenue from the railroad tracks, located north of the bridge, to West St. Paul Avenue. Work will consist of removing the deteriorated pavement and replacing it with new concrete, curb & gutter, and sidewalk. Once completed, the roadway will accommodate one driving lane, parking lane and a bicycle lane in each direction.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
On March 23rd and 24th, North Plankinton Avenue from West St. Paul to South 2nd Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction.
Beginning Wednesday, March 25th, North Plankinton Avenue at West St. Paul Avenue will be closed to traffic. Local driveway access to the post office and Pritzlaff building will be maintained from S. 2nd St., with one lane of traffic in each direction, except during the full bridge closures. North Plankinton Avenue at West St. Paul is anticipated to re-open with staged traffic early June.
There will be three, 14-day, full bridge closures to allow the contractor to paint the bascule leaves and replace the bridge center lock actuators. During full closures, vehicular and pedestrian access will be restricted over the bridge. More information on the timeline for the closures will be shared as the work is scheduled.
For bus route details and schedule, please visit ridemcts.com. Route 19, Blueline, RR1 and RR3 on Plankinton/2nd St. will detour using Water St. in both directions. Passengers can board at temporary stops along the detour.
-Northbound from Pittsburgh to Clybourn
-Southbound from St. Paul to Pittsburgh
One half of the Menomonee River navigation channel will remain open for boat access during construction. Check for local notice to Mariners as published by the US Coast Guard for additional information.
Work is allowed M-F from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
All construction equipment, traffic control devices, and materials will be completely removed from June 23 through July 20, 2020 for Summerfest and the Democratic National Convention.
Sign up to receive construction updates-email email@example.com