HOME GR/OWN Projects
2019 Major HOME GR/OWN Projects
- Fondy Park Phase 2
- Neighborhood Improvement Beautification ("NIB") project rollout - over 25 individual projects across the City of Milwaukee
- Complete Institute for Sustainable Communities grant with Walnut Way to increase Lindsay Heights climate change resiliency - Complete April, 2019
- Complete Metcalfe Park & Amani pocket parks Phase 2 Upgrades
- SARE Grant Compost/Food Recycling Project
- Close out 2016 - 2019 North Avenue Greenscaping Project
Historical HOME GR/OWN Projects
2018 Priority Projects:
- New 2018/19 Neighborhood Improvement Beautification Program
- Implementation of NML Foundation Amani/Metcalfe Park P4P Park Improvements
- Phase 2 Improvements at Fondy Park
- Implementation of resiliency solar, stormwater management and ECO Neighborhood projects under the new Institute for Sustainable Communities grant with Walnut Way
- Increased healthy food access across Milwaukee
2017 Priority Projects:
- Construction of Fondy Park - Phase 1 Opened September 16, 2017!
- Continuation of #NorthAve17 Greenscaping & Facade grant Project
- Planters located to 5th and 14th & North - January 2017
- New landscaping at North Avenue commercial properties: Mobil QuikLube, BP, 24/7 and Checkers - August - October, 2017
- Asphalt removal from 15th & North vacant lot - February 2017; Contractor: Walnut Way Blue Skies Landscaping
- Grass installation at 22nd & North, after 2016 tree installation - June 2017
- Business Improvement District #32 neighborhood clean-up - August 2017
- Code compliance orders resulted in 2 new fences and 3 repainted buildings at North Avenue commercial properties as of August 2017
- New grasses planted at 11th & North greenscaping project - June 2017
- Facade Grant program rollout - May 2017; working with 6 commercial properties on grants - December 2017
- 7th & Garfield major vacant lot greenscaping and asphalt removal - Completed August 2017
- 6th & North vacant lot greenscaping - Completed September 15, 2017
- Additional trash cans added to North Avenue - in progress
- Hanging flower baskets rehung May 2017
- 18th & North bioswale and greenscaping completed - June 2017
- Three new public art works installed in the HOME GRO/WN parks in the Amani neighborhood - Completed in September '17 with generous support of Brico Fund.
- Healthy food access planning/development with Milwauke health Department and Department of City Development - Maps released June2017; Study in development
- Upkeep and maintenance of the 20 2015 Partners for Places parks and orchards - Hired Walnut Way & Operation Dream teens to maintain our green spaces
- Roll-out of new mobile, solar-powered pump cart for use at new stormwater management cisterns - In use as of June 2017
- Mayor's Monarch Challenge - ongoing 2017 donations of milkweed seeds and native plants to community organizations; added 1000's of native plants at Fondy Park
- Coordination of North Avenue activities with BID #32 and Commercial Corridor Team - Ongoing and monthly. HOME GR/OWN, City DCD and BID #32 have a team promoting North Avenue dacade grants, HOME GR/OWN active in long-term stretscaping plans for North Avenue, placemaking events.
2016 Priority Projects:
- Revamped community garden at Richards & Clarke in Harambee - Site maintenance and "Earth Chair" install in June, 2016
- New community garden and orchard with Hepatha Lutheran, Safe & Sound & Groundwork MKE - Complete July, 2016
- Partnering with neighborhood sponsors for further investment & programming at new parks & orchards
- Upkeep and maintenance of the 20 2015 Partners for Places parks and orchards - Replacement trees planted October, 2016
- Roll-out of new mobile, solar-powered pump cart for use at new stormwater management cisterns - See 2017 above
- New pocket park at Brady & Holton in 2017 - on hold due to land sale.
- Free community fruit tree care classes - Update: First classes began in April
- Planning for installation of public art in 2017 at Adams Park, Carter Park and Amani Community Orchard - Carter Park install June, 2017; Amani install September, 2017
- Installation of solar power at Cream City Farms - Update: completed June, 2016
- Cream City Farms - open for business Summer 2016
- 2016/2017 North Avenue Greenscaping Project, announced October, 2016
2015 Priority Projects:
- Construction of Cream City Farms, a 1.3 acre commercial urban farm at 30th & Brown: 2016: Solar installed, 1st planting, fence work continues. Multiple 2015 aerial videos here
- 14 new orchard parks and 6 new pocket parks built through Partners for Places grant - Update: 6 parks and 14 orchard parks completed November, 2015
- Final construction on All People's Church orchard stormwater features - Update: 1,000 gallon cistern & rain garden complete as of June, 2015 Rain garden planted June '16. Aerial video here
- 2015 Winner of SXSW Eco Places by Design international Design competition - Video of award-winning presentation here
Accomplishments 2013 - 2015:
- Ezekiel Gillespie Park constructed summer 2014; named 2015 MANDI finalist, won Mayor's Design Award
- 2015 Partners for Places initiative - 20 new healthy green spaces on Milwaukee's North Side; winner of SXSW Eco Places by Design design competition
- New community gardens & orchards on City vacant lots: with partners Neu-Life, Groundwork MKE & Infallible Helping Hands
- Passage of major revisions to the city's urban agriculture ordinances
- Aided passage of revised Food Peddler ordinances
- Major green infrastructure installations at Gillespie Park and All Peoples Orchard
- Green job creation and job training via steady employment of North Side young adults - "By the neighborhood, for the neighborhood"
- Fundraising targets met to date
There are many other great ideas and potential projects. Please contact us if you have ideas for HOME GR/OWN.
For more details on HOME GR/OWN's general goals, please review Milwaukee's sustainability plan, ReFresh Milwaukee.
HOME GR/OWN Partnering in the Community:
- North Avenue Commercial Corridor Team member
- Member of Community Development Alliance
- member of citywide commercial corridors planning team
- Active in MKE Elevate
- Active in B.I.D. #32 Board of Directors meetings
- Member of Milwaukee Food Council Food Policy Committee
- Past representation on Milwaukee Food Council Board of Directors ensures City collaboration with Milwaukee & regional community food organizations.
- Past representation on Cooperative Institute for Urban Agriculture & Nutrition Steering Committee & Initial Board of Directors
- Coordinating vacant lot rehabilitation efforts with the Mayor Barrett's Strong Neighborhoods Plan & NIDC.
Top row: (l) new orchard installed at Mt. Zion Baptist Church; (m) Groundwork Green Team crew hired to build 2nd & Nash orchard, along with 6 other orchard parks; (r) Zumba class in Gillespie Park, summer 2015.
Second row: (l) aerial of tree holes at SET/HACM Cherry Court Community Garden before tree planting; (m) Pumpkin carving at HG-Outpost Pumpkin Patch at Sunshine Park, 10/24/2015; (r) City's 1st RainShed built by UW County Extension - MKE's own open source design by UWM School of Architecture & Urban Planning.
Bottom row: (r) Mayor Tom Barrett talking to Walnut Way Blue Skies Landscaping work crew during park construction; (m) 2nd & Nash Nigella Community Orchard; (r) 38th & Clark's Scholars Park from the air.