Childhood Lead Poisoning
The City of Milwaukee Health Department (MHD) Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPPP) operates a Primary Prevention Program to make properties lead-paint safe in Milwaukee. Through this program, eligible property owners are provided a grant to replace original windows that have lead-based paint.
Why windows? In older homes with lead-based paint, windows are a primary source of lead-based paint chips and leaded dust.
Primary Prevention Program Eligibility and Requirements
The program targets zip codes in the city of Milwaukee where the majority of elevated blood lead levels are reported. These zip codes are: 53204, 53205, 53206, 53208, 53209, 53210, 53212, 53215, and 53216.
Download map of the Milwaukee target area
To be eligible for the program, your property must be within the above zip codes and:
- Property must be built on or before 1978
- For rental properties:
- Current tenants must be low income.
- If the unit is vacant, landlords must be willing to offer the unit for rent to low-income families with children
- For homeowners:
- The homeowner must be low-income.
- A pregnant woman, a woman of childbearing age (age 15-45) or child under age 6 must live in the home or spend a significant amount of time in the home
- If you are not current on your property taxes, you must initiate or be on a payment plan
- Property must have at least one bedroom
- Property must have homewoners insurance during the abatement process
- The property must have no open building code violations
- The owner must be available to join an inspection with a lead inspector
Certified Lead Abatement Contractor List for the Primary Prevention Program
Owners participating in the MHD CLPPP Primary Prevention Program must use the following approved contractors to perform MHD-funded abatement work:
Certified Lead Abatement Contractor List current as of January 10, 2017.
Lead Abatement Contractor Performance Reviews
Quarterly records of the performance of contractors in the MHD CLPPP Primary Prevention Program: