Bookmark and Share

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can file a complaint?

A complaint can be filed by anyone that observes or experiences inappropriate conduct committed by an employee of the fire or police department.

Return to Top
How do I file a complaint?

Filing a complaint is not difficult. We have a citizen complaint form to assist you with organizing the information related to your complaint. The form asks you to provide a description of the incident, your name, and a means of contacting you. Once you've completed the form, deliver it in person or send it by postal mail, fax, or email to the Fire and Police Commission.

Return to Top
How do I get a complaint form?

You may obtain a complaint form by phone, postal mail, fax, email, our website, or from various community organizations.

Return to Top
What happens after I filed my complaint?

After the complaint is received a Commission investigator will contact you. If we determine that the Commission has authority over the complaint it may be referred to our mediation program, to the Chief of Police or Fire Chief for action, or referred to the citizen board for a complaint trial.

Return to Top
What is mediation?

Mediation is a meeting between the employee, the person filing the complaint, and a professional mediator to resolve the issues that led to the filing of the complaint.

Return to Top
What is a complaint trial?

It is a quasi-judicial administrative hearing to determine whether the employee violated a rule or standard of the department. The person filing the complaint, along with the employee and witnesses tell the citizen board what happened. 

Return to Top
What can the Fire and Police Commission do about my complaint?

The Commission can suspend, demote, or discharge department members from employment. They can also issue policy or training directives to help the employee do their jobs better.

Return to Top
Can I get paid for my damages?

The Commission does not have the authority to award any money damages. Claims for money damages must be filed separately with the Milwaukee City Clerk, 200 E. Wells St., Room 205, Milwaukee, WI 53202.

Return to Top
How can I get on the Fire and Police Commission?

The seven (7) citizen board Commissioners are appointed by the Mayor of Milwaukee and approved by the Common Council. Commissioners serve overlapping five-year terms, and receive a salary of $6,600.00 per year.  To submit your name for consideration go to

Return to Top
How can I contest a traffic citation or a parking citation?
Return to Top
Can I pay a parking citation online?

Yes. Click here to pay your citation on line.

Return to Top

To speak with a Fire and Police Commission staff member, please call 414-286-5000 or send an email to



Revised:  February 1, 2013

Fire and Police Commission Milwaukee, WI  

Contact Us

City Hall
200 E. Wells Street
Room 706A
Milwaukee, WI 53202

(24-hour message line)



Media Inquiries

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
(except holidays and furlough days)