Step-by-Step Process Guide:
for getting solar for your home or business in Milwaukee. (If you do not need financing, please disregard those steps.)
- Learn about the types of systems available. The Midwest Renewable Energy Association (MREA) provides information and also holds solar workshops. You can view online videos about solar and how it works on the MREA's Grow Solar website.
- If you are interested in financing your system, learn more about the Milwaukee Shines Solar Loan Program for homeowners offered through Summit Credit Union.
- Schedule a solar site assessment and get a bid. We recommend working with a solar installer that holds the NABCEP cerfitication. Search the NABCEP website for a list of contractors. Please note - there may be a fee for the site assessment. Be sure to get a few bids from installers to find the best fit for your needs.
- Make your home more energy efficient to maxmize the benefits of solar. The Milwaukee Energy Efficiency (Me2) program can help.
- If you are financing your project with the Milwaukee Shines solar loan, get preapproval of your loan through Summit Credit Union to keep your project moving forward smoothly.
- Select your installer and sign the contract. We recommend getting at least 2-3 bids prior to making your final selection. Focus on Energy has information on how to find and choose solar installers that are eligible for incentives.
- Work with your installer to make sure you get all the incentives your system is eligible for.
- Have your system installed by your solar installer.
- Close on your Milwaukee Shines solar loan - contact your loan officer at Summit Credit Union after the project is complete to close on your loan. Summit will then issue the check for payment directly to your installer.
- Enjoy the benefits of your new solar system!
Financing Your Solar Project
Whether you are a homeowner or run a business, there are financing options available to help you pay for your solar installation.
Milwaukee Shines Solar Financing
Milwaukee Shines has partnered with Summit Credit Union to offer low-interest solar loans to Milwaukee homeowners. More information is available on the Solar Financing page, or by contacting Summit Credit Union.
Milwaukee Energy Efficiency Program
Business owners have the option of funding solar installations with the Me2 program's Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing. Please refer to the Me2 business website for more information on eligible projects, how the program works, and application materials.
Focus on Energy Renewable Energy Loan Program
Focus on Energy, Wisconsin’s statewide energy efficiency and renewable resource program, is launching a 0% interest commercial loan program. Find out more about this program on the Focus on Energy website.
We Energies Rate Case Decision
The Public Service Commission of Wisconsin made a decision regarding the 2014 We Energies rate case, which affects customers who have solar and other forms of renewable energy to power their homes and businesses. Read more about how this decision impacts solar in Milwaukee.