- CONSTRUCTION UPDATES
- WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS
- YOUR FEEDBACK & COMMENTS
- CONTACT US
We aim to provide construction updates every two weeks throughout the duration of the project. Updates will be posted here and sent to those who have signed up through the project website. All work is weather dependent and subject to change.
Start Date: March 22, 2021
Anticipated Completion: October 2021
- The rehabilitation project on West Villard Avenue Bridge has been completed. Minor items will be addressed by the contractor during the week of October 25th. The additional work on the shoreline restoration will continue into November. Posted 10/21/21
- The painting operation on West Villard Avenue bridge will be finished by the end of this week. Pavement markings will be installed early next week. Rehabilitation work on the bridge is anticipated to be done in mid-October. Shoreline restoration will extend into November. Posted 9/29/21
- Roadway approach work has been completed and landscape restoration is currently taking place this week. West Villard Avenue bridge will open to two-way traffic starting in the afternoon of Friday, September 10th. The painting operation of the structural bridge components will begin the week of September 13th and will take place throughout the month of September. Posted 9/7/21
The eastbound lane on Villard Avenue has been open to traffic since Friday, August 13th. The westbound lane remains closed while work continues on the north side of the bridge. The installation of the bridge railing and light bases will be completed this week. During the week of August 23rd, crews will grade the roadway approaches in the westbound lane, install conduit crossings and restore the roadway approaches with concrete. Electrical work, such as light poles and wiring, along with landscape restoration is scheduled toward the end of the month. Posted 8/17/21
- The West Villard Avenue Bridge over Lincoln Creek Parkway will be fully closed to all traffic starting Thursday, August 5th to pour concrete for the north side's bridge deck. The bridge will remain closed through the week of August 9th to allow the concrete to cure. During this time, the contractor will form and pour the new sidewalk, put in the bridge conduit and begin the bridge railing installation. We anticipate re-opening the eastbound lane on Villard Avenue to traffic on Friday, August 13th. Posted 8/3/21
- Work taking place on the West Villard Avenue bridge this week includes pouring concrete for the new abutment backwalls, installing electrical conduit and bearing pads, and painting the girder top flange. During the week of July 26th, the contractor will install the wood decking (formwork), rebar and shear studs in preparation to pour the concrete deck on the north half of the bridge in early August. Posted 7/20/21
- The 2nd stage of construction for West Villard Avenue bridge rehab project started on Friday, July 2nd with traffic control set in place on the north side of the bridge; the eastbound lane is open to traffic while the westbound lane is closed across the bridge. Crews will remove the bridge deck and structural components throughout the week of July 5th. The construction of the abutment backwalls and bearing pads are on the schedule from July 12th-23rd. Posted 7/6/21
West Villard Avenue Bridge will be temporarily closed to all traffic on Friday, July 2nd starting at 6:00 am. We estimate the bridge will be fully closed for two hours for the contractor to set up traffic control on the north side of the bridge (2nd stage of construction). Once traffic control is in place, the eastbound lane on West Villard Avenue will re-open. Westbound traffic will be restricted throughout this 2nd stage of construction. Crews will begin to remove the north half of the bridge deck during the week of July 5th. Posted 6/29/21
The concrete pavement for the roadway approaches on the south side of the Villard Avenue bridge will be completed by June 25th. During the week of June 28th, the contractor will finish sidewalk restoration with backfill and topsoil. We anticipate the next stage of construction to begin on Thursday, July 1st. Work will take place on the north side of the bridge, restricting westbound traffic, during this second stage of construction. There will be a temporary full bridge closure in the morning of July 1st in order to safely set up traffic control on the north side of the bridge. Once completed, the eastbound lane on West Villard Avenue will be open to traffic. Crews will begin to remove the north half of the bridge deck during the week of July 5th. Posted 6/22/21
The westbound lane on West Villard Avenue Bridge over the Lincoln Creek will open to traffic in the evening of June 10th. Thank you for your patience during this full closure. Currently, electrical crews are installing conduit before we pour the concrete sidewalk on the south side of the bridge this week. We are aiming to have the bridge railing installed during the week of June 14th. In addition, crews will grade the roadway approaches on the south side of the street and install conduit crossings over the next two weeks. We anticipate pouring concrete for the roadway approaches during the week of June 21st. Posted 6/8/21
The West Villard Avenue Bridge over Lincoln Creek Parkway will fully close to all traffic from Thursday, June 3rd through Thursday, June 10th.
The bridge deck pour has been re-scheduled for Wednesday, June 2nd. The entire bridge will be closed to traffic starting June 2nd and will re-open on June 9th. Posted 5/26/21
A change in the schedule will allow westbound traffic on West Villard Avenue to remain open to traffic thru early next week. Due to contractor coordination purposes, the deck pour has been re-scheduled for Thursday, May 27th. We anticipate the entire bridge will be closed to traffic starting May 27th through June 3rd. Posted 5/18/2021
The contractor has completed the installation of the shear studs and will continue the deck formwork and rebar into the week of May 17th. We anticipate the entire bridge will be closed to traffic starting Friday, May 21st to allow the crew to pour concrete for the bridge deck. The bridge will remain fully closed until Friday, May 28th to allow the concrete to cure. During this time, the contractor will begin to form the new sidewalk on the south side of the street. Posted 5/12/21
- The contractor will finish surface repairs and apply a damp proof coating this week. During the week of May 3rd, we will have a crew install the bearing pads, and paint the girder top flange, which is the flat/top side of an "I" shape steel beam. The following week, the contractor will install the wood decking (formwork), rebar and shear studs in preparation to pour the concrete deck in mid-May. Posted 4/27/21
- The contractor has finished removing the structural components on the south side of the West Villard Avenue bridge. This week, crews are forming the new abutment backwalls, adding rebar and cleaning girders. Next week, the contractor plans to pour the concrete for each abutment backwall, install conduit through them and backfill the area. Toward the end of the month/early May, we anticipate the installation of bearing pads and deck work to begin. Posted 4/14/21
The rehabilitation project on West Villard Avenue Bridge started on March 22nd with traffic control for stage 1 set in place. During this first stage, eastbound traffic is closed at the bridge and one lane of westbound traffic is open. The contractor has completed the removal of the bridge deck on the south side of the bridge. Over the next two weeks, crews will continue to excavate structural components of the bridge, including the removal of the abutment backwalls. Once completed, the contractor will replace the rebar, and set up forms to pour concrete for the new abutment backwalls. Posted 3/30/21
Start: March 22, 2021
Anticipate Completion: October 2021
All work is weather dependent and subject to change
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works (DPW) and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) will conduct a rehabiliation project on the West Villard Avenue Bridge over Lincoln Creek Parkway, which was constructed in 1955. About 6,400 vehicles travel on this bridge per day.
The project was shelved in 2013 when construction funding was unavailable. It was re-activated in 2019 to continue the final design phase and proceed with construction in 2021. The existing bridge deck will be removed and constructed in stages to keep West Villard Avenue open for one way traffic during construction. Approximately 100 feet of the roadway approach on each side will be reconstructed, and the bridge railings will be replaced as part of this project.
Estimated cost is $2,460,400. The bridge structure and limited portion of the roadway impacted by the construction of the bridge will be funded 80% with Federal aid and 20% by the City of Milwaukee. There are no assessments to property owners.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
To minimize how construction will impact residents, businesses, and the traveling public, the project will be split into four major stages:
STAGE 1: Construction will take place on the south side of the West Villard Avenue Bridge; eastbound traffic will be closed at the bridge. One lane of westbound traffic will be maintained. The sidewalk on the north side of the bridge will remain open for pedestrians.
STAGE 1A: The entire bridge will be closed to traffic for approximately 7 calendar days. This closure will allow the contractor to pour concrete on the south side of the bridge. Once the concrete deck has cured, the westbound lane will re-open while the contractor continues rehabilitation work on the south side. Pedestrian access will be routed to Lincoln Creek Parkway during this short-term closure.
STAGE 2: Construction will take place on the north side of the West Villard Avenue Bridge; westbound traffic will be closed at the bridge. One lane of eastbound traffic will be maintained. The sidewalk on the south side of the bridge will remain open for pedestrians.
STAGE 2A: The entire bridge will be closed to traffic for approximately 7 calendar days. This closure will allow the contractor to pour concrete on the north side of the bridge. Once the deck has cured, the eastbound lane will re-open while the contractor continues rehabilitation work on the north side. Pedestrian access will be routed to Lincoln Creek Parkway during this short-term closure.
On-street parking will be restricted within the project limits.
This project will affect MCTS bus service on Route 80 (east-west Villard Avenue). Details and updates can be found at www.ridemcts.com.
STAGE 1: Route 80 will continue its regular route traveling westbound. The eastbound route will detour via Lincoln Creek Parkway between N. Teutonia Ave. and W. Villard Ave.
STAGE 2: Route 80 will continue its regular route traveling eastbound. The westbound route will detour via Lincoln Creek Parkway between N. Teutonia Ave. and W. Villard Ave.
STAGE 1A & 2A: Passengers can board Route 80 on West Villard Avenue outside the affected area.
Work is allowed Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
COMMUNITY MEETINGS & DOCUMENTS
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works holds public involvement meetings to receive input and share project details with residents and businesses located in the project area.
Public Involvement Meeting #2 - November 13, 2019 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
The second public involvement meeting was held at Lincoln Park Blatz Upper Pavilion, 1301 West Hampton Avenue. 7 people attended the open house to share their thoughts and ideas on the proposed design. Attendees were able to submit comment cards and meet with DPW representatives to ask questions or provide input.
Public Involvement Meeting #1 - February 21, 2013 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
The first public involvement meeting was held at Silver Spring Elementary School, located at 5131 North Green Bay Avenue.