The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works (DPW) is continuing its Active Streets program with the four locations and community organizations selected through a request for proposals in 2021.
The Milwaukee Active Streets program builds on the success of DPW’s 2020 partnership with Milwaukee County Parks. As a response to the COVID-19 pandemic, traffic on streets was limited or prohibited in order to increase space for people to walk, bike, and be active at a safe distance from one another. A survey conducted at the conclusion of the 2020 program found that 72% of respondents supported continuing the program beyond the COVID-19 pandemic. Full survey responses are below and more information on Active Streets in 2020 can be found at milwaukee.gov/ActiveStreets.
1. Northwest Side CDC: N. 25th St. from W. Roosevelt Dr. to W. Capitol Dr.
2. Metcalfe Park Community Bridges: N. 37th St. & N. 38th St. from W. North Ave. to W. Meinecke Ave., & W. Meinecke Ave. from N. 37th St. to N. 38th St.
3. United Methodist Children's Services: W. Galena St. from N. 40th St. to N. 27th St.
4. Sixteenth Street Community Health Centers: W. Washington St. from S. 20th St. to S. 1st St.
Barricades were placed on these streets in late-May. The grant recipients will conduct programming and outreach throughout the course of the program, which is expected to conclude by mid-November. DPW is providing additional funding to the recipient organizations to partner with Artists Working in Education in order to integrate art in the Active Streets locations.
Note that Milwaukee Active Streets for Business is a separate program.
- Slow motorists to create space for people to walk, bike, and be active, during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond
- Build trust with residents by partnering with community organizations
- Improve health outcomes for residents through increased physical activity
- Address reckless driving on neighborhood streets
- Respond quickly to traffic safety concerns using low-cost infrastructure
- Use art to reimagine streets
Active Streets Locations
N. 25th St. from W. Roosevelt Dr. to W. Capitol Dr.
N. 37th St. & N. 38th St. from W. North Ave. to W. Meinecke Ave., & W. Meinecke Ave. from N. 37th St. to N. 38th St.
W. Galena St. from N. 40th St. to N. 27th St. & W. Cherry St. from N. 24th Pl. to N. 20th St.
W. Washington St. from S. 20th St. to S. 1st St.
Phases 2 and 3
Active Streets is a potential three-phase project. Phase 2 consists of selecting a smaller portion of the Active Street and installing semi-permanent infrastructure, such as rubber speed humps, speed tables, and other easily installed devices. This infrastructure may be reconfigured throughout Phase 2 based on community feedback. Depending on feedback and performance, Phase 2 may last for several years. Eligibility for Phase 2 will be evaluated at the conclusion of Phase 1. Phase 3 involves constructing permanent infrastructure as grants or budget are available. The following Active Streets have received or are receiving infrastructure improvements:
- W. Galena St.
- Butterfly Park
- Access improvements on W. Meinecke Ave. at N. 38th St. and N. 37th St.
- W. Washington St.
Active Streets 2020 Survey Results
The City of Milwaukee distributed a survey to understand the use of and response to Active Streets in 2020. The survey was open in November and December of 2020. It was distributed in two ways:
- An online link promoted through email lists and social media (referred to as “Online”)
- A mailed letter to addresses within two blocks of the City’s Active Streets locations; recipients were directed to complete the survey online (referred to as “Mailed”)
The following documents summarize the close-ended and open-ended results from this survey.
Summarized Survey Results (Close-Ended)
Summarized Survey Results (Open-Ended)