Bookmark and Share

Chronic Nuisance Information

The City of Milwaukee’s Chronic Nuisance Property Code 80-10-2 was passed in early 2001 to address the negative of this issue on the community. Chronic Nuisance aggravates and pushes away law abiding residences, discourages the reinvestment in the community, and utilizes a lot of police and other City services.

To help control and prevent chronic nuisance in your community, there are resources to assist you in understand how.

Here are also a few helpful tips when reporting a nuisance property:

  • Use the Address where the problem is at. (DO NOT use your own address when reporting a nuisance property)
  • Associate the nuisance activity to the address. (The person who is the person who lives at the location, or the person who is visiting the location.)
  • Explain in detail the nuisance activity. (Loud music is blaring from the vehicle, is disturbing the peace, and is an on-going issue.)


  1. Three nuisance type calls for police are required before a Nuisance Letter is sent to the owner of the property.
  2. The three calls have to be within, any 30-day period.
  3. Only one nuisance call can be used within a 24-hour time frame.

Once the nuisance letter is sent, the property owner is given a 45-day opportunity to subside the nuisance activity. If the nuisance activity continues, a second opportunity is given to the owner to subside the nuisance activity. Continued problems will generate a charging letter, which lead to charges and or POSSIBLE citations to the owner for $3,211.00.

Additional Information:

  • Do not assume your neighbor called police.
  • Do not announce you are going to call police.
  • All calls made to the Milwaukee Police Department are documented.
  • You can be anonymous when reporting nuisance activity. Leave a phone number for police to contact should the officer have further questions

Landlord/Tenant Information


The Department of Neighborhood Services (DNS) offers free classes to train landlords the elementary ways to keep illegal activities out of their property. The classes are held year-round at various locations and times. To gather further information, please visit DNS Landlord Training Program website.

It is recommended that landlords do background checks on tenants prior to forming a lease. A couple helpful sites to assist with conducting a background check:

  • CCAP
  • Circuit Courts of Wisconsin has public records
  • Municipal Court Records
  • City of Milwaukee public records of cases involving local ordinance violations
  • Milwaukee Police Department’s Open Records Section - see what types of calls for service are happening at potential tenants current property. Requests for police open records can be made through this section.
    Open Records Section is located on the 2nd Floor of District 3 at 2333 N 49th St., and is open Monday – Friday from 9:00am to 2:00pm (Closed Holidays).


MPD District Five Badge reads Honor and Valor 

MPD District 5

2920 N. 4th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53212 

Emergency - 911

(La Linea que no es de Emergencia es)

District numbers (414 area code)

District Five 935-7252

Lieutenant's Office 935-7151

  • Day Shift - 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • Early Shift - 4:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
  • Late Shift- 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.

Sergeant's Office 935-7257

Community Liaison Office 935-7258

Community Prosecution Unit

  • Asst District Attorney Jeremy Arn 235-1814
  • Safe & Sound CPU Coordinator 234-9522
  • Community Prosecution Unit Officers 935-7258
Domestic Violence Advocate 935-7656

Meet your Community Liaison Officer

Don't know who else to contact?  Your Community Liaison Officer may be able to help you help yourself.  Your Community Liaison Officer can help you start a Block Watch program, or deal with a long standing nuisance issue in your neighborhood.

Police Officer Dan Lewis (414) 935-7258
(early power shift, 11 am - 7 pm)

Police Officer Edward Ciano  758-7343
(day shift 8 am - 4 pm)

Please wait while we gather your results.