FORM I-9, DHS EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY
for New Employees and Rehires
Verification for City of Milwaukee New Hires / Re-Hires
The City of Milwaukee is required by Federal law to hire only persons who are legally authorized to work in the United States. To comply with the law, employers must verify the identity and employment authorization of every person who is hired by having each new hire/re-hire complete the Form I-9.
Completion of Form I-9 is a mandatory condition of employment for ALL individuals employed by the City of Milwaukee. Failure to comply by the deadline may result in separation from City employment.
Completing Form I-9 is a 2-STEP process with 2 deadlines:
The employee must complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 online at www.newi9.com
- DEADLINE: Employee start date and NO EARLIER than one week before the start date.
- Computers are available for use in the lobby of the Department of Employee Relations, Room 706 - City Hall (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.).
In order to complete Section 2, the employee must come to the Department of Employee Relations to present acceptable original, unexpired document(s) as indicated in the instructions.
- DEADLINE: Within the first 3 days of the start date – NO SOONER THAN the start date and NO LATER THAN 4:00 p.m. on the third day of work.
- EXAMPLE: If a start day is Monday, the third day will be Wednesday.
I-9 Related Resources:
- Online Form I-9 can be accessed at: www.newi9.com
- Sample Form I-9
- List of Acceptable Documents to Comply with Form I-9, r. 7.17.17
- Form I-9 Official Instructions, r. 7.17.17
- Employment Eligibility Verification, r. 7.17.17
- Need Assistance? Contact the Department of Employee Relations at 414.286.3751 or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Employee I-9 Express Quick Instructions r. 2.14.18