Marcia P. Coggs Human Services Center
The Marcia P. Coggs Human Services Center hosts Milwaukee County and State of Wisconsin agencies that provide services to help community members live healthy and independent lives. The original building served as Schuster’s Department store until it was acquired by Milwaukee County in the early 1960s. Approximately 400 County or state employees work in the building.
The Coggs Center took the Better Buildings Challenge pledge and received a free energy assessment in spring 2017. Over the years, Milwaukee County has made a number of energy upgrades in the building. Additional HVAC and security system improvements are planned for 2018, pending budgetary approval.
The Better Buildings Challenge is a perfect fit for Milwaukee County’s strong commitment to sustainability. Utilities represent a sizable operating expense for County operations, and we actively seek ways to reduce energy use and costs.
Chris Abele, Milwaukee County Executive
The ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager® account for Milwaukee County is managed by its Office of Sustainability. After three consecutive years of decline, source EUI for the building spiked in 2016. The increase may be due to a chiller failing that year during cooling season. While the chiller was being replaced, a less efficient cooling system was temporarily used.
Plug Loads & Controls
- BAS upgrade with additional control points in 2009
- Upgrade pneumatic to DDC controls in 2009
- Seal building envelope - The building’s roof was redone in 2011, including adding insulation.
- Windows - The Coggs Center added low-e film to large south facing windows in the building to reduce heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer.
- VAV upgrade in 2014
- Retrofitted AHUs with economizers and high-efficiency supply fan motors
Pending budgetary approval, Milwaukee County will make additional energy upgrades at the Coggs Center during 2018. The improvements will include improvements to the HVAC system, including new AHUs, VAV boxes and DDCs, and an updated building security system.