2020 Property Assessments
The COVID-19 Public Health Emergency will not impact 2020 property assessments. State law (sec. 70.10, Wis. Stats.), provides the annual assessment date of January 1. The 2020 assessments are effective as of January 1, 2020 and are based on the property's status as of January 1, 2020.
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue provided special guidelines for Property Assessment and Taxation for the 2020 revaluation. This information was emailed on March 25, 2020 to Certified Assessors, the Assessor list, Municipal Clerks, Municipal Treasurers County Clerks and Treasurers, Real Property Listers and Register of Deeds offices.
The Milwaukee Assessor’s office will follow these guidelines for the 2020 assessment cycle.
Look up your property's assessed value and property details: Real Property Search
Changes for 2020 Open Book
“Open Book” refers to the period when property owners have an opportunity to discuss their property value with the assessor and appeal the value.
Due to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency, the Milwaukee Assessor's OFfice will be altering our 2020 Open Book process in the interest of public and employee safety. As always we are committed to the same openness and accessibility for property owners and will accommodate property owners to the greatest degree possible. Our employees are working from home and remain available for assistance.
There will be no in-person Open Book appointments. The office will be closed to the public.
Important Dates - 2020
- Assessment Notices mailed: Friday, April 24, 2020
- First day of Open Book: Monday, April 27, 2020
- Last day of Open Book: Monday, May 18, 2020
- Deadline to File an Appeal: 4:45PM Monday, May 18, 2020
How To Contact the Assessor’s Office
For efficient service, web or email communication is recommended. Telephones may be busy at this time.
- Web: Ask the Assessor
- Email: email@example.com
- Monday-Friday, 8:00AM - 4:45PM
- Open Book Hotline: (414) 286-6565 Note: This number is only available April 27-May 18, 2020
- Assessor's Office General Phone Number: (414) 286-3651
Your Assessed Value and How to Appeal
If you feel the 2020 assessed value is reasonable, there is nothing further to do.
If you feel the assessed value is not reasonable:
- Review information on the Milwaukee Assessor website about the assessment process and how we generate values.
- Go to Property Assessment Data for detailed information about individual properties.
- Go to our Appeals and Assistance page for instructions on filing an appeal.